Chapter 01

Chapter 01: The Beginning

"How unfortunate it is..."

"Certainly... he was a good ruler..."

In the grand ceremony where many grieved for the late Emperor's burial, people spouted those words for numerous times.

Everyone gathered upon the setting with a black outfit and offered a flower to the mighty ruler that met its end.

Leonard Vermili Zeid Asquith.

After a long time of managing the Asquith Empire, he made various achievements and contributions that led the Empire towards its success, prosperity, and long-lasting tranquility.

He was a great and rightful Emperor that gained everyone's favor through his advent.

But then, through an unfortunate factor, that honorable being suffered from an incurable illness and eventually died.

And today was the day of his funeral.

Many attended the burial ceremony with sorrow as they mourned for the late ruler's grave. One of those people was the Crowned Prince, Noah Wilde Zeid Asquith; the one and only son of the late Emperor and Empress.

He attended the funeral with his usual cold gaze as he stared at his fathers grave. So far, he hadn't shed any single tear ever since the event started. As I watched him with amazement, I thought,

He must've prepared himself for this day...

After that, I merely stared at his back for a long time until I shifted my gaze away when I noticed that he look back at me, probably because he noticed the me, watching him from afar.

In one glace of the cold blue eyes that gazed back at me, I had a realization.

"I know those eyes...", I whispered to myself and thought,

I bet..... he'd cry later on...

And just like that, I had my first meeting with that person.

Not long after that day, he attended a succession ceremony and took after his father's job as the throne became one of his belonging. And the one that stood next to him as the Empress was his beloved fiancée,

Natasha Owen von Yreles of the Yreles Ducal Household.

She was a woman praised to be a suitable candidate for the Empress' seat, due to her good reputation and status, virtuous aspect, capabilities, and talents.

She was a well known woman that there would never be a day that she wouldn't get mentioned at social gatherings.

However as a matter of fact, there were also groups that resented Natasha behind the scenes for various reasons. And because of that, they are quite hectic as they try out several ways to lead Natasha to her ruin.

But such bothersome thing didn't affect me one bit since that was Natasha's problem.

On the meantime, I was busy planning for myself in my thoughts on how to escape from the Shevaria Household as soon as possible.

In truth, I thought of running away from home, however I didn't have enough savings for my father hadn't been favoring me since I have been behaving like a villainous, selfish daughter all this time. And it wasn't possible for me to steal valuable things to sell them so bluntly out there for the mansion is well-guarded. Moreover, I wasn't too sure, myself, if I could live a stable life as a commoner.

And so, the plan of running away from home was smashed just as simple as that.

But that was not a problem for I came up with another idea.

"Right...! I just have to be the Emperor's consort...!", I said to myself as I brightened up.

An Emperor's Queen Consort. It is a major position that serves to aid the Empress, while being the Emperor's spouse at the same time.

For a good news, the Queen Consort's seat is currently vacant. Apparently, because the Emperor doesn't wish for one since he only wanted Natasha as his beloved opponent.

However, I don't wish for his affection nor do I love him! And this fact would benefit either of us! I thought, smirking.

'If this succeeds well, then it's finally a farewell to this miserable life of mine!!~'

While I had that phrase in my mind, I was overfilled with contentment. It was thrilling to think that I could finally escape from the Shevaria Household after all of those hardships that I encountered.

And as I couldn't bear to stay there and wait for any longer, I hurriedly requested for an audience with the Emperor (without letting my family know), and rushed to the Imperial Palace.

Nevertheless, little did I know that time...

That THAT decision of mine was nothing but a grave mistake.