Chapter 46

Chapter 46: The Mysterious Blacksmith

The first time I met Holger in my past life, I blindly judged his strength based from his aged look.

He was a blacksmith, living right at the Capital of the Shevaria Estate. We had encountered each other through pure coincidence.

With a robe covering my appearance, I snuck out of the mansion for the first time that day. My ultimate purpose was to search for a sword, thinking that that way I could protect myself from the danger that surrounded me.

And the very first shop that I stumbled upon was Holger's.

I remember being amazed, seeing the different kinds of weaponry displayed when I set my feet inside the shop. Perhaps, that piqued my interest toward weapons.

After I searched around for a while, I picked one sword that I could purchase with my savings and attempted to grab it. But then,

"Lass, are you a beginner?", Holger asked me abruptly.

"Well... yes.", I replied.

"Then, you shouldn't pick that sword. That ain't compatible for beginners. Instead-"

Holger, then, went to grab another kind of sword and passed it to me.

"Use this.", he continued.

I stared at the sword in my grasp for a moment, then said,

".....This is?"

"A wooden sword, lass. Anybody that is new to swordsmanship use that for practice. Try swinging it once."

I did as he said without hesitations.

*swish* I swung the sword.

However, for some reason, it was uncomfortable. The sword was light and easy to use. But, I felt weird while I swung it.

"Haa.....", sighed, Holger after he witnessed my movements.

"Fix your posture. And don't put too much strength when you swing. Also, you better take off that robe first or it'll be a hindrance."

"...You seem to know a lot about swordsmanship.", I responded to his advise.

Holger stiffened up, then. Probably that time, I hit the nail in the head.

After I looked at him from head to toe, I noticed that he had a good physique. And then, there were those advises that made him seem so experienced when it came to wielding a sword.

I speculated one thing based from those hints.

"Mister, you're a swordsman, aren't you?", I questioned him directly.

"Pfft... Hahahahaha!", Holger bursted out a laughter, all of a sudden. After that, he added with a smile.

"I don't hate quick-witted brats. Should I give ya that sword for free as a reward?", he joked.

Nevertheless, Holger didn't expect...

That I would take his joke seriously that time, but in a different way.

"The sword doesn't need to be free. Instead-"

"Please be my Mentor!"

My eyes shimmered with high expectations as I uttered those words.

I still remember till this day that I put him on a hard time just to make him accept me as his student.

It was a great opportunity that I couldn't let go so easily. As such, I kept sneaking out of the mansion since that day in order to do what it takes to make Holger my mentor.

The only reason why he accepted my offer must've been because I didn't seem to have the plan to stop pestering him until he teaches me how to wield a sword.

In short, I troubled him so that I could achieve my goal.

Hahaha....... I internally laughed without joy after having that recollection.

In fact, I used the same method as I did back then to make him accept Aiden and I as his students. And I felt very awkward of my behavior during the period that I persuaded him, now that I was mentally an adult.

I wonder why? It feels like this has been added up to my dark histories....... I thought.

I couldn't seem to get used of acting based on my current age. Back when I was still stuck with the Duke as Sherryl in this life, I cringed because of my behavior whenever I would be in front of his eyes. It made my whole body itch!

If possible, I don't want to act that way anymore. But, you never know what's gonna happen beyond in life.

At any rate, although Holger has become our mentor, it's not like Aiden and I have introduced ourselves as people from the Shevaria household.

Just like how he hid some other private matters from us like his real identity, we also did the same.

"Right, lass. Why are you trying to learn swordsmanship?", Holger asked.

"Is there perhaps a problem for me to choose what I want to learn?"

"Nah, that's not what I meant."

"Then, what?"

"Mentor must be thinking that you're aiming to be a knight, Mila- Melissa.", Aiden joined the conversation with an answer.

(Note: "Mila-"= Milady*)

"I'm not aiming to be a knight.", I honestly replied.

In Asquith Empire, women are not allowed to be a knight. Rather, they're prohibited from even touching a sword. That's why, it bothered me when the conversation has gone to that direction.

I mean... Who am I to make a change on what's natural in the Empire? Furthermore, it's not like I wanted to learn swordsmanship for that purpose.

"Then, for what reason exactly?", Holger added.

I acted like I pondered about what my answer would be even though I already knew about it, before I could reply to Mentor's question.

Then soon enough, I said with an eerie, pure smile.

"To kill, I guess.~"

"".....""

Holger and Aiden stared at me with their irises minimized because of surprise. Hearing my phrase, Mentor shifted his gaze toward Aiden.

"Young lad, do ladies in her age like to joke around that way, by now?", he asked.

"I'm sorry, but I have no idea either...", Aiden bluntly replied.

It was amusing to see their dumbfounded expressions. That made me want to tease them more, as a result.

"How cruel. I'm not joking here, you know?", I pouted.

"Pfft...!!"

Just then, Holger turned his head to the back and trembled like he was holding back his laughter.

Eh? Did he not buy it...? I thought while gazing at Holger.

"Mila- Melissa. That is a little... no-"

"It's plainly too unbelievable."

The awkwardness has made my face go bright red, once Aiden's statement went through my ears.

I kept shrinking every passing second.

Ahh.....

Why the hell did I even think about fooling around with them?!

I thought, enveloped with shame.