Chapter 38

Chapter 38: Clearing Up What People Misunderstood

It was soon after the crowd settled down that I started to share my reasons with them.

"Although I have said that there is something between Sir Aiden and I, it doesn't mean that I'm planning to be in a relationship with him like what everyone is thinking about."

Once I stated those lines aloud, I saw the Duke sighing in relief and so was Lucian and Aiden. Meanwhile, confused noises came out from the crowd. After that, the Viscountess spoke in a tone that made me feel like she was trying to ridicule me.

"It's not as we think it is, you say? What else could be there between a man and a woman?", she boldly questioned me as she showed her true colors in front of us all.

Lady Ellis' expression has no longer been aware of the meaning of modesty. To say it frankly, I don't know how she came to have this much confidence despite knowing her own place. Maybe, it was because of the fact that I was just a commoner that the Duke kindly adopted. Nonetheless, it didn't change the fact that I detested her arrogance, specially at a time like this where I'm still in a bad mood, for a little bit.

For some reason, just by looking at her face right now made me want to let her taste a fist. The way she feared me earlier was much better than her demeanor at present. More than that, hearing the questions that she asked me just now needlessly made me have a thought that she was an idiot.

I sighed when I saw the Viscountess grinning as if she won the battle already. With that, I felt so stupid for wasting my time over someone like her.

Really... Let's just put an end to this sh*t.....

"Truthfully, I didn't want to announce it this early. Yet I suppose, I have no choice but to say it."

"I, Meli- Sherryl Faire von Shevaria, has been planning to take Sir Aiden of the Faremanne Family as my personal bodyguard."

When my declaration reached everyone's ears, many were attacked by surprise while the others were convinced, thinking that it was reasonable for why I tried to approach Aiden. Though, a handful of the children couldn't interpret our discussions that much, as well.

"Is this the reason why you refused to have a bodyguard when father introduced you one, the other day?", Lucian joined in the conversation while he made his way through the crowd.

"Is that so, Sherryl?", added, the Duke.

"Yes, elder brother. And father.", I replied to them with honesty. But then, the Duke gazed at me with suspicion and asked me another question.

"Just to let you know, you are asking the young Baron of the Faremanne Family to be your personal bodyguard. Do you have the awareness that he might be someone that will inherit his family business?"

"I am aware.", I answered.

"Let me ask you this too. Is this Sir Aiden even strong enough to protect you? As much as I can see, he looks like wimpy brat nearby your age."

Based from Lucian's eyes, he seemed to be quite serious about this issue. As such, uneasiness dwelled in me. After all, in my previous life, Lucian has always been someone worth of being feared whenever he enters that mode.

But, wait? Did he insult Aiden just now? I thought then shifted my gaze to Faremanne.

Once I watched him from my position, I hallucinated him having dog ears. For some reason, he looked like a dog that felt down after he heard his owner's opinion about him.

"Not to mention, I can protect you better than him!!", Lucian abruptly proclaimed.

I blankly stared at him while I processed my thoughts, bit by bit.

I started to understand why he looked like he was against my idea. And it was all because he brought his competitive personality in this mess. But hearing his statement just now only made me think that it wasn't about being competitive but being a racist and narcissist in a way. In addition, as if I'd believe his words that easily. After all, in my previous life, Lucian has used either of his hands to hurt me before I the day of my execution approached.

Hearing him saying something like that didn't make me feel happy for even a bit. And neither did I like it.

Moreover, compared to Lucian, Aiden's skills were far better. Lucian, being the future head of the Shevaria Family, had the duty to practice swordsmanship for his own safety. But that doesn't mean that he surpassed Aiden's ability.

Aiden has become someone so grand all thanks to his expertise as a warrior at the Imperial Army of Asquith Empire, after all. He even earned the title of a Count with his own strength, at that.

"I have once witnessed Sir Aiden's skills in wielding a sword. Though you may not believe it, he had a talent in swordfighting. And he might even surpass the abilities of the bodyguard that father recommended to me, in the future."

"That being said, I mentioned that I was still 'planning' to do so, hence Sir Aiden and I have yet to discuss about this matter accordingly. Neither does he know that I have been plotting of something like this.", I carefully explained in detail.

Just then, Viscountess Ellis yelled out false statements again.

"That must be a lie! Lady Sherryl must be hiding their relationship, using that as an excuse!!"

"Viscountess Ellis.", the Duke interrupted the Viscountess' statement.

After we heard his voice, we all turned our heads to him and got intimidated by the way he menaced toward Lady Ellis. He seemed to have a dark aura surrounding him while he glared at her with his cold eyes. Then, he spoke.

"You better watch your mouth when my daughter is trying to prove that your weird ideas were incorrect. Or else, who knows what might happen to your tongue."

The Viscountess' face went pale while she began to shiver again. At least, she finally had self-awareness of how she was in a dangerous position right now. Earlier, it worried me that she has gone too cheeky that I thought she'd end up dead if she continued to be like that.

"Father, please refrain yourself from doing that. We've done enough uproar during sister's birthday party.", said, Lucian, warning the Duke.

"I know.", Wendell briefly answered with a sigh.

"We'll talk about this later, Sherryl.",  he added.

"Yes, father."

Soon after I gave him a reply, a familiar voice called out to me.

"Milady."

Before I knew it, Viola has returned to my side with the item that I asked for in hand.

"You've done well. Thank you.", I gave her a word of praise and gratitude while she served the item before me.

Well then, the cool stuff starts here.~ I thought with my mood that lightened up for a little.