Chapter 61

Chapter 61: The Definition of Red

[]Third Person's POV []

The throne room was enveloped by silence. Despite the time of the day, darkness dwelled in its inside.

If not for the rays of light coming from the circular windows, it must've gone all black already.

Compared to the times where events were hosted, it seemed very empty now that it was used for a private audience.

"Is that child perhaps-?"

"It is just as you've guessed, Your Majesty.", replied, Marquis Aubetré to the monarch that laxly sat on his throne.

The Emperor slowly shifted his gaze to the red-haired girl that stood right next to the Marquis.

The girl then read the situation and was reminded of what her etiquette teacher taught her.

Her dress fluttered as she elegantly dragged the sides of her dress upward, while making a bow with one of her feet stepped on the back.

"Fleurette Ivona of the Aubetré Household greets the monarch of the Empire."

The Emperor rubbed his chin.

"Hmm... I still can't believe that you've hidden a daughter all these years."

"I apologize for not informing this earlier to Your Majesty."

"No, it's fine. Everyone have their reasons, don't they? So, why have you suddenly decided to introduce your daughter to me?"

Before the Marquis could reply, he smirked.

"The second prince, Wendell Acur."

A moment after those words came out from the Marquis' mouth, the Emperor's brows furrowed for a second.

The monarch sighed.

"Why bring up that bastard son of mine?"

"I believe, he has yet to be engaged to anyone."

"Of course, not. That child doesn't have the slightest interest over anything other than swordsmanship, including the throne!", the Emperor muttered and continued.

"Honestly, I no longer saw a future in him so I stopped caring. It's such a waste for his talent and support from the citizen as a war hero."

With the monarch's eyes, narrowed, it was obvious to see how he was totally irritated of his son.

In fact, he wanted Wendell to prove that he was also worthy enough to be the future sun of the Empire, although he couldn't inherit the trait that signified the Royal Blood.

"If that's the case, would Your Majesty mind having my daughter, Fleurette, as his fiancée?"

The Emperor stared at Fleurette.

"I would like to accept your offer, but... Are you sure about this, Marquis Aubetré?"

"Pardon?"

"You see, that bastard son of mine participates at the war by the front lines, due to his persistence. There's a risk that he might lose his life there, so..."

"I don't mind that, Your Majesty.", the Marquis replied with a satisfied look on his face.

".....Just in case, I'd like to hear Fleurette's opinion about this too."

In an instant, the two's gaze have been set on the red-haired girl's profile. One looked at her with pure curiosity, and the other gave her a very cold stare, as if he was telling her to agree with his statement.

No one would notice this fact if they saw her from afar, but her eyes certainly looked so dead and empty.

That's when she began to speak.

"I don't mind it as well, Your Majesty."

Even though she was smiling as she uttered that phrase, joy couldn't be seen from her demeanor.

Whether she liked it or not, it didn't matter. That has always been the case from before... and even until now.

As long as she could survive...

However,

"That's the task that you need to fulfill this time."

"Kill 'that girl'."

The supposedly obedient woman that followed each and every command that the Marquis told her to do, now hesitates.

This was the third time that she was ordered to put an end on a person's life. But somehow, this time, she felt like rebelling it.

With reluctance, she once killed a woman and a child back in the day. Although it was hard for her to actually pull it off through her plans, since she would be the one to die if she didn't do it, she had no choice but to kill those two.

But now, she hesitates.

This was a test to prove her loyalty to the Marquis. She needed to fulfill it or she'll get disposed of. Fleurette was well-aware of this fact.

Even so, she couldn't just decide to follow the task that was given to her this time around; to the point that she couldn't give the other person a fast response just like how she usually did.

"I-......."

'I don't want to do it.'

That was what she wished to say. But then...

".....I understand."

Fleurette couldn't be brave enough to confront her father that yet. Rather, she thought it would be foolish of her to even hesitate.

Right now, it wasn't just her life that she wanted to protect, but her son as well.

Just when they started a new leaf, this kind of twist of events has occurred. Furthermore, to think that the person she needed to kill was the girl who helped her take a step forward...

...The girl that was pretty similar to her.

She clenched her hands tightly, having mixed emotions.

Until when she came to her senses, she was already inside of a carriage approaching the gates of House Shevaria.

The time that slowly passed by plainly traveled so fast.

Fleurette's hands started shaking. She merely hoped that the Marquis haven't noticed how she wavered all this time, being unable to make a decision. But what she feared more lied beyond the gates of the mansion that she was about to enter.

If possible, she wanted to avoid seeing her until she could reach to a conclusion. But what could she do if the world was so small?

She kept herself calm with a deep breath as soon as the carriage stopped moving. And then, she gently descended from the stairs.

"Welcome home, mother."

The cold yet warm voice that welcomed Fleurette easily made her chest feel heavy.

There, for the first time, she showed a genuine expression on the surface.

Her face was just full of misery.

Even Lucian was shocked of this occurrence.

"...Mother?"

She immediately landed her knees on the ground and wrapped her arms tightly around her son, ignoring her rash behavior.

Fleurette began to care less about the eyes that were focused on them. She fearlessly did what she wanted to do, as if she has broken free from her chains.

"I'm home....... I'm home, son.", she said, trembling.

Her voice sounded like she was about to cry, but instead, she had a sharp look on her eyes.

She bit her lower lip, pouring the resentment that she held back all this time to her demeanor.

Bit by bit, the strings that were attached on her body started fading away.

The Fleurette this moment slowly fled from her soulless vessel.