Chapter 130

Chapter 130: Interlocking Fingers

Melissa was yet again, lying to her true desires.

Just as how she'd usually pretend to be a strong person to deceive everyone's eyes on the outside, she was now forcing herself to wear a mask in order to hide her fears and hesitations toward the present issue.

For better or for worse, Aiden was perceptive enough to see through her falsehood after a closer look of her gaze that trembled slight. And based from her actions, he could only draw out a conclusion which described the fact that she was afraid of something.

A something that was classified to be barely recognizable from his perspective, unfortunately.

In the first place, Aiden wasn't as knowledgeable whenever the subject arrived to the lady's past since before the time that she served as a replacement at the Shevarias, as well as her occasional inner thoughts. Rather, all he's known was mostly her behavioral patterns and interests, or a few of her goals if he were to be honest.

That was the most natural since she, herself, had never once consulted her bigger problems with him, despite of the meter of their relationship's reach. Much less, did she ever cry with all of her might beside his presence.

Thus, if he was to think about it deeper right now, by legitimate means, he knew about the person that he liked quite insufficiently.

But that was fine. It didn't matter whether he could cross those bounds with her permission through this opportunity or not.

Regardless of the depth of her mind either in the present or in the future, all he needed was to keep reminding himself to respect her will—

Thus, pertaining to merely do what he could at the moment, to hear out her true wishes in order to stray from the idea of leaving her more regrets.

The black-haired man imitated his lady's usual ways by casually wearing a mask to prove his seriousness, as he posed a stance to prepare for the commencement of their match.

And to follow the coin that dropped down the surface of the terrain, he swiftly charged ahead, tightened his grip, and swung the wooden sword in his grasp from bottom left to upper right, to send the opponent's weapon flying in a flash.

The face of the maiden on the reflection of his eyes was predictably enveloped by astonishment, to the point that there's been a delay before she could get brought back to reality.

"What kind of duel is this...?"

Only when he muttered such a phrase did she become capable of returning to her consciousness.

Although the statement, itself, and the remaining exclamations that followed right after were all initially a part of the act devised by Aiden, his emotions unexpectedly went along with the flow, midway.

Perhaps, the urge couldn't be withheld since all this time, he'd often take the same option as the lady that he served whenever it came to the management of his true emotions. But such a similarity was either a common and a pathetic thing, so it wasn't something to be proud of in actuality.

Not to mention, as a result of that urge, he even made his lady shrink and cry.

Even though he found himself guilty for what he's done, he oddly felt thankful for it at the same time. Such that he could easily refer to himself as a disgusting person, he internally rejoiced at the achievement of making Melissa cry because of him and of course, beside his presence.

As he desperately tried to erase the feeling that's mentioned above, he simultaneously attempted to comfort her upon the compiled realizations that occurred to him.