Chapter 27

♦Chapter 27: Apology

"Eh? Father won't be having breakfast with me today?"

With surprise, I looked at the maid and waited for her response.

"An urgent business came this morning, so he needed to leave the mansion early, milady. He also mentioned that he might come come home late today."

"I see."

I sighed with relief after I heard the details.

For one moment, I thought that the time has come so I became quite nervous, thinking that my assumption was true.

Thank god, that wasn't the case...

After that, I focused back my attention to the lavish food that was set on top of the dining table.

I attempted to start eating what was served but something forced me not to, for a while.

".......Is the food not to your liking, young lady?", the handmaiden beside me asked after she saw how I was yet to start consuming my breakfast.

I watched the empty seat, thinking like it was unusual for it to not have anyone to sit on it.

How funny.....

"Young lady?"

"You don't need to worry about it. I was just in a daze for a second."

I started to have a taste of the lavish, light meal to stop the servant from concerning about it again.

Then, I remembered another fact after I swallowed what I ate.

Come to think of it, I wonder who ordered the chef to give me that gross repast in my previous life...

With that in mind, I have planned to investigate the matter sometime.

*knock knock* Someone has knocked the door.

The maid quickly went to open it and see who wished to enter the dining room.

*creak* As soon as the door was opened, piquing my interest, the maid looked somewhat panicky.

"Y-you cannot enter yet, young master...!", she whispered as if she didn't want me to hear what she said.

'Young Master'?

"Who is that?"

"I-it's nobody, young miss!"

"You dare lie to me?"

"Eek!!"

The attendant chickened up after she saw me glaring at her.

"Let that person in.", I ordered.

"B-but...!!"

"Do it."

Being too much of a scaredy-cat, the maid looked flustered while she obeyed my command.

Is it really...? I thought and waited for the person to enter the room.

Taking his steps slowly, the juvenile came to my sight and looked away, avoiding my gaze.

".......Lucian."

Right......... How could I forget...?

At this period, Lucian was.....

Forbidden to share the same table with the Duke and I.

Basically, the reason behind this was because of what happened when I first dined with them.

That time, Wendell and Lucian were both present in the dining room. Lucian would sit across my position and glare at me while he ate the food on his plate. As such, I was intimidated, and the only thing that I could do was pretend that I hadn't notice his obvious stare.

That was probably because to him, I wasn't welcome in his family. And that resulted no other than his impatience to spout his honest thoughts aloud.

"Why does she need to eat with us?", he uttered.

Those words made me shaken. After all, even in my young age, I knew that it wasn't supposed to be this way.

'A child of common birth was sharing the same table with nobles.'

That was a very unnatural thing. Thus, I felt guilty, regretting the fact that I took the hand that the Duke stretched out to me when I was still at the orphanage.

However, something stopped me from having the feeling of being unworthy.

"Stop being stubborn, Lucian.", the Duke phrased and continued.

"She is a part of our family now. If you insist to not acknowledge her fully, then I will not tolerate you to accompany us two for any longer."

Once Wendell finished his statement, Lucian immediately rose from his spot. With his ill-tempered attitude, he slammed the door and left us there without saying anything.

But even still, his answer lied behind his actions that time. And ever since, he no longer entered the dining room with us, present.

"Please leave us.", I ordered the attendants.

Hearing my command, they all had an uneasy demeanor. I could easily guess why they had such expression, though.

"The Du- Father isn't present today, so think of this as an exception. Keep your lips sealed as well."

"But Milady-!"

"Double Salary."

The servants gulped and froze out after they perceived what I said.

Crap, I'm getting good at bribing people...You better be thankful to me, Tsundere boy!

Not even a second passed after I had those thoughts and the maids had a sudden change of attitude.

"We understand, miss. Well then, please do call us if needed.", one of them said while the others agreed by nodding their heads.

They're too cheap! Is this mansion really going to be okay?.......

With that, the handmaidens finally left us alone.

""....""

The room was enveloped with an awkward silence. It was not because there was nothing to talk about. It's just that we couldn't bring ourselves to talk to each other after the quarrel that we had, the other day.

Technically, it must've been my fault since I was the one that started to get enraged without having the proper understanding of the situation. I should've just asked him of what he was doing first before I jumped into a conclusion. And knowing that, I didn't wish to be immature so I tried to apologize.

"I'm sorry...!!", the boy shouted.

I couldn't respond quickly because of him. Although I wanted to say that first, he went ahead of me. Even though..... I was the one in wrong.

Soon, I opened my mouth and spoke to him.

"...Have a seat first."

"Let's slowly talk this out, elder brother.", I added.