Chapter 104

Chapter 104: A Gift of Exchange

[]Third Person's POV []

The chirping sound of birds and their flapping wings could be heard beyond the window, while the warm rays of sun slipped through the glass.

A new day has risen in the Empire of Asquith, just as it was at the Yreles Dukedom.

The members of the Yreles Family typically woke up early in the morning. The duke was accustomed to this kind of routine, all because of the matters to be tended or his responsibility as the head of Yreles. It was his duty to perform the stabilization of the land that he governed, with a respectable amount of care. That just proved how busy he could be at times when issues that required his assistance, arose.

Although Natasha wasn't as busy as him, she would rise up in the morning mostly at the same time as when her father begins to change into formal clothes and go straight to his workplace. During occasional times when the duke's workload was less, he would consider eating breakfast with his one and only daughter at the dining room instead of consuming it alone at the study, as per usual.

And today was another one of those special cases. So, the moment Natasha stepped into the place where she frequently ate her meals except for the times that she felt ill, she was a bit surprised to see her father's figure, sitting in front of that long, family table. But that reaction didn't last long for it wasn't something that interesting to her perspective.

A set of her portion was already prepared on top of the table, so she gently sat on her usual position before it could even get cold. She didn't have any comments of the fact that her father had already begun eating before she arrived. And she legitimately cared less about exchanging greetings nor conversations with him.

She was sure that the duke had the same thoughts as her. For in their relationship, all that remained was a slight interest in cases of necessities as most of the time, they would treat one another with indifference. The one who started this since her childhood was the duke, himself, and all she's done was follow his example or imitate his ways. Though, it couldn't be denied that they had differences in terms of their personalities no matter how much the lady tried to imitate her sole guardian, since she was of a younger age.

At most, Natasha swore to herself not to complain since her reasons would merely turn out to be trivially illogical. After all, what could be more better than to live a life without scarcity, unlike those who dwell in the dark alleys of town, wearing faces full of greed?

"I would like father to grant me permission to stop by the Imperial Capital, today."

She began to speak in the middle of their meal.

The duke stiffened up as if he heard a strange yet useless question.

"If this is about meeting up with the Crowned Prince, you would still come regardless of my denial, wouldn't you?"

"Your guess is wrong, father. My business purely concerns a purchase for the minimal tea party, tomorrow. The lady from the Shevaria Family and I had plans of exchanging gifts as a part of the fun, you see."

There wasn't anything to be suspected about the young lady's correction, yet the duke still seemed to have had an issue about this from his reluctance before he could thoroughly offer a word of approval.

"......The last time you went there, you got separated from the guards, so make sure to add an escort or two before you go.", he gave his consent with a reeking reluctance, and tucked a spoonful of soup into his mouth.

"I will gladly do as you say."

While Natasha might've responded in such a confident way in front of her father, her internal thoughts differed.