Chapter 13

Chapter 13: A Sworn Enemy♦

Another day came by as I inhabited at the Shevarias.

Once I glimpsed at the sun's rays that represented a good morning, my mood enlightened, thinking that today would be a little more peaceful than usual. But...

Haha..... As if that could happen...

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Milady. I am Helen Smythe. And I was assigned to be the lady's personal maid, from here and then."

I could only watch the attendant paying her respect to me with my eyes that widened thrice than how it usually did.

Ahh....... For the love of god, just let me get out of this cursed house as soon as possible...! I thought with my tears that overflowed on my cheeks, inside my imagination.

The longer the maid kept the same tender smile onto her face, the further I felt the chills down by my spine.

Helen Smythe.

Among of all the people that brought me a sense of danger in this mansion back then, she was the worst of the worst ones.

Though she puts up a soft face that could be compared to a saint on the surface, her personality was completely opposite from deep inside.

Back on the days when I was mistreated, Helen was the only person that shielded me and served me with due respect. With that, I got easily manipulated by her kindness. And so, she easily gained my trust.

But... I was naive.

It was shortly after my brother suddenly changed his tricks to nastier ones.

I wandered around while concealing my presence from others as if I was playing a game like hide and seek.

And what I accidentally overheard was...

Helen and Lucian's private conversation.

What they discussed were about how they should trouble me next time.

At first, I thought that it was petty of them to plan of something like that behind my back. And it gave me a grave damage to think that the maid that I trusted was also another fake, all this time.

Then, when I heard of Helen's suggestion, I started to have a deduction that she was the reason why my brother's tricks became more threatening.

It was because of her all along.

And if I didn't overhear their conversation that time, perhaps, a boiling water have been accidentally splashed on me, that might've transformed me into something similar to one of those that they call 'damaged goods' in the noble society.

Damaged goods which were known as people with permanent scars. Also known as those that cannot be wed off any longer because of their stained beauty.

One more thing about Helen was she was the one who badmouthed me behind my back the most while she gossiped with the other servants.

And because of that, I came to realize that she was just a very treacherous woman until the very end.

Now I know why they say, 'You shouldn't judge a book from its cover.'. I inwardly nodded as I agreed to that statement.

".....I never heard of having a maid.", I uttered with a serious demeanor as I set my gaze straight at the attendant.

Thereafter, she responded to my words with detail.

"That is..... The Master mentioned that he was supposed to tell that to the young miss during the tea party. But, due to your condition-"

"I didn't ask you about that, though.", I cut her sentence.