Chapter 101

Chapter 101: A Small, Sentimental Gathering

For once, I have thought of how my days would actually become when I finally reached my goal of living my life not as a noble, but as a commoner.

Would I really be happy out there, all alone? Could I really be capable of forgetting the past that tormented me for so long?

Such questions often pestered me during those times.

While it was true that I longed for what people referred as 'Happiness', I was doubtful whether I would really be able to obtain such a thing, the moment I've set my foot on that boundary. In that place, where only I would remain in solitude, not having a single person by my side...

The dead doesn't rise again. And those who disappear shan't come back. Everyone I wished to be with always went far away. And next, it was my turn to leave those whom I poured my affections before.

Once that's done, would I really be... less miserable that I am right now?

Amid those thoughts, I noticed how I slowly opened my eyes along with the sight of a blurring surrounding.

It was hard to look at, to the point that I ended up closing my eyes again as I lifted the wet cloth out of my face a bit and touched my forehead with my left hand.

How on earth did I caught a fever when it's literally the end of summer...?

As soon as I woke up, I recalled how things became like this the first thing in the morning that has passed. It was an illness that came out of nowhere, resulting me to get bedridden for the rest of the day. Though it might've helped me for I was given of an excuse to not respond to the summons of the Imperial Palace, it didn't change how annoying its effects were.

In a different way, it might've represented the saying, 'no pain, no gain'.

"I feel sick.", I muttered, deliberately saying my literal state to nobody.

"Would you like me to call for a maid, Lady Melissa?"

"Please tell Viola to bring me some refreshments..."

"I shall retail what you said."

I remained silent for a second or two, until...

Hmm???????????

I swiftly opened my eyes and got up the upper half of my body from the bed. The next thing I knew it, I found myself witnessing a very shocking yet partly frightening sight.

"W-wait...!!", I shouted, stopping the woman from doing what I've requested.

The female of my age, whose hair was a stunning blonde, gently looked back at my direction, and so did the attention of the other person that seemed to have come to my place as her company. No, it was rather likely that it had been the other way around.

The moment I was ascertained of their faces, I questioned the duo with formality.

"...May I ask why the two of you are here? Your Imperial Highness...... and Lady Natasha."

A new occurrence that contradicts the previous timeline. Whenever such events come to be something offset from the future within the range of my knowledge, I get a little scared since what could lie beyond the actions that I present were unknown. It must've been an after-effect of being overly reliant to my consciousness over the destined experiences.

How inconvenient. I thought, brazenly exposing my greed internally.

"I'll do the explanation so go deal with the ill's request first, Natasha."