Chapter 108

Chapter 108: Prejudice

Now I've done it...!!

All that was left in my mind was pure and literal chaos, after what I've done and uttered to the young master of Shevaria in this very room of mine, a few moments earlier.

Before I knew it, I kind of got ahead of myself just because of the overspilling eagerness to resist him and his useless display of anger toward Aiden, and the flow of the whole conflict before I could interfere. Thanks to that, the only thing that I could do right now was place my elbows over my thighs, cover my face with both hands, and remorse over the wrong choice that I picked back there.

I must have not been in the right mind that time, in the first place. After all, I got myself baited by my personal bodyguard's taunting, which defended and mentioned my presence in a way. Having said that, I didn't plan to blame Aiden for while it was originally a wrong thing to do, my pride also couldn't accept the fact that I would be no different from Lucian and the duke if I really did something like that.

Nevertheless, the truth that states the violence that I've done to the future heir of this Household wouldn't change no matter how much I'd explain how regretful I was over my mistake. I could see the future where Duke Wendell would summon me for a careful discussion.

To summarize things, I only dug my own grave.

"Wa~ah... It sure is exciting to wonder what kind of punishment will be given to me... Hahaha......", I twisted my words with sarcasm as much as I could, despite all the shakiness that it showed, as well as the paleness of my current expression.

"I'm sorry, Lady Melissa. If only I hadn't started the fight..."

I quickly turned my head toward the black-haired juvenile's direction and stared at him silently, for a while.

Whilst feeling apologetic for the sin that I've committed, I doubt that it totally merited me nothing.

Due to that opportunity, I managed to release some stress by telling Lucian my thoughts about the duke and himself, and provided some hints about how they should change their bad habits in my own way. I also got to shift the attention of the manservant that came to pick him up, exclusively to the assumption that I was the culprit who led the young master to that state, keeping him away from the initial supposition where Aiden was the first one to offend and incite the entire quarrel.

Though, the last one would be nonexistent if Lucian confesses the truth behind the incident.

"...I won't question you as of why you even thought of crossing the line, disregarding the gap of your position from the young master. But I believe, you, of all people, should've been more than aware about the consequences of any sort of undesirable actions toward those in a far higher standing than ours, Aiden."

"I have done it with a considerable amount of preparedness, and consciousness of how the situation would unfold into...... milady.", he averted his gaze from mine at the end of his sentence.

So, he's pointing out that he insisted himself to do it, regardless of that, huh...

At that time, in this place, I was ascertained that his reasons for revolting Lucian partly involved the case where he saw me coming back from the invitation of the mentioned person to the greenhouse one night, wearing an injury on my left cheek.

While I precisely haven't brought anyone to accompany me back there, I've naturally given Aiden and my personal maid a word of notice concerning my visit beforehand, which was likely to have lured my personal bodyguard onto the suspicion that defined Lucian to be the most possible culprit. To be frank, there's no mistake in his guess, though.