Chapter 71

Chapter 71: Lucian (2)

"......"

The young duke silently stood behind the tall bushes of the garden.

"I'll leave this up to you."

"As you wish, your grace."

He was just a meter or two away from his father's side, yet he couldn't be brazen enough to take a step further. He clenched his hands tightly, blaming himself for being a coward even after going this far.

In the end, he couldn't say a single word to the Duke that day, triggering his lonesome state once more.

Several days after, he was brought to another fateful encounter with the girl that looked alike his late sister.

As he watched her profile from afar, he compared how her eyes were sharper than before and recollected the times where he was still being mean to her.

During those times, she would always wear a slightly sullen face, but didn't consider fighting back as she plainly ignored this treatment. But to the vexed Lucian venting his anger to her those moments, the actions she took merely added fuel to the fire. Therefore, the young duke immaturely decided to continue the bullying as a result.

"...Is she alone?", he whispered with his eyes widened.

It was a rather unusual sight to see. He never thought that there would also be opportunities like this at her side. However, it was a given since he knew that the duke could be busy dealing with his own businesses too.

The young duke slowly approached the girl and called out to her.

"Runt."

With a disappointed face, Melissa responded to him.

"Ugh, so it's you..."

"W-what's with that face?!"

From this confrontation, he confirmed how it felt like the other person became so different from the girl that he used to bully just the other day.

She came to open up herself more to the point that she could be brave enough to indirectly convey how she disliked him from her words and attitude. Nevertheless...

"Sure then-!"

With her arms hugging him tightly as she wore a beaming smile, she continued.

"I'll forgive you!!~"

She was unexpectedly forgiving. She, the person who he didn't consider treating well since her first appearance at the mansion.

To the young duke, the girl's embrace was very warm. So warm that he felt loved by a person in his family, for the first time. And thus that time, he sincerely made a wish once more.

'I hope... I can feel this warmth again.....'

'Next time... with my real family.'

The next thing he knew it, he was sitting at the same garden, one afternoon. However, he was no longer alone that time.

On his left was his mother, then there sat his father at his right.

It felt like a dream, yet it wasn't. It didn't seem like he was just imagining things either. And then, like a normal ten-year-old boy, he could finally laugh genuinely from this result.

In the end, he was a fortunate one. But the young duke... he knew that this wasn't all about his luck.

The mint-haired girl that pushed his back from behind to keep him moving forward... If he hadn't received her assistance, he couldn't have reached a day like this.

'Thank you...', as he had that statement in mind, he set his gaze upon one of the windows of Melissa's room, from below. But then...

*flutter*

He briefly took a glance of her dejected back figure, leaving the position she stood at, next to the casement.

He couldn't help but wonder what kind of message that scene was trying to tell him. But now, at present... he already had the awareness of it's meaning.

"....."

As those events flashed back on Lucian's mind, he stared at the seat across his side while he stayed at the dining room.

"Young master... is the food not to your liking?", the head butler worriedly asked.

"Ah... no- I was just in a daze, so...", he replied.

Being brought back to reality, the young duke realized how he has yet to touch the food that was served before him for even a bit.

It has been years since the past occurrences happened. Even now, he still considered how better the current situation could've been only if he contributed something for his adopted sister's sake.

However, as worst as it may seem, he couldn't make a single move.

In the end, he was still a coward just like how it has been before. He couldn't bring to advise his own father to give the person a chance, fearing that things would go back to how it was in the past. He didn't dare to put his efforts at vain so he could keep the good family picture at stable. And thus, he merely hoped that Melissa would understand this selfish desire of his.

Even if... it was hurting him to see how it looked like their positions got reversed because of this.

Nonetheless... in the end, the Duchess that was inside that family picture was.......

*knock knock*

While the young duke bit his lower lip as he narrowed his eyes, having such thoughts, someone knocked the door.

Everyone was confused. As much as they knew, there weren't any other people that were supposed to enter the dining room tonight since the master was out, taking charge of the matter about the mistress of Shevaria.

"...Please enter.", Lucian said with a sense of uncertainty.

Then, the moment the double doors was opened, he saw one's hair flutter with a small movement. He came to know who the person was immediately as soon as the color of mint reached his sight.

"I hope... I'm not late."

The young duke could perceive how awkward the person felt the moment he heard her voice. Therefore, he immediately invited her to the table as soon as possible.

"Please have a seat."

"Young master! Just what-"

"No one will question my decision."

Before one of the attendants present could say a thing again, he added.

"For as long as my father is away, I have the obligation to create my rules in the mansion. Is that clear?"

"....."

"Please prepare another plate for the lady's meal.", he ordered, then the servants fulfilled the task without any sign of retaliation, after taking the things he said just earlier in consideration.

"It seems like the young master is becoming rather forgetful."

"I apologize. I never received an answer from you, so I almost thought you didn't have the intention to accept the invitation."

Invitation, my ass! You couldn't even be brave enough to say a word that time! Melissa complained behind that thick mask of hers.

.....I don't have the right to say that, though. She added, being aware of the fact that she came here without prior consultation with the young master.

However, Lucian, on the other hand, was glad that she came. Although this was but a very small act of sympathy from him, he was thrilled that this could be accepted by her, despite knowing how she wouldn't like how unhelpful this kind of assistance would be to her. Hence, deep down, he whispered such words:

'I'm sorry-'

"....."

He stared at her direction with his eyes slightly wavering, being reminded of her crying image quite a long time ago, at the same room.

'...I'm truly sorry.'