Chapter 37

Chapter 37: Sympathy

"Oh, since it would be boring if I put an end to this farce so simply, would you mind-"

"If you state what you just said about me to the others?"

The Viscountess' eyes kept wavering as she directly looked at my face. Then soon, she glanced
toward a certain direction.

I also took a peek of where she shifted her gaze for a short while, in order to confirm what she was looking at amid the situation. There, I saw the Viscountess' conversation partners earlier, trying to avoid eye contact with the two of us. Based from their course of actions, they probably didn't want to get involved into the scene. As if they'd like to get involved either since they must've known that if so, then only trouble would embrace them. As much as I can see, they were also individuals that had lower status and power than me, after all. Or perhaps, they just wanted to watch us idly as they enjoy the show.

This was also nothing but another fact among nobility. And an act to save oneself from getting involved with problematic issues, specially if he or she was still impotent to be able to retaliate so brazenly in order to rescue another. If one was too kindhearted or upright that he or she come to save others from confrontations, the 'others' that I mentioned would appreciate their help. However, that person could be in verge of doom for getting involved in a situation like that, although he was in a lower class than the opponent, in actual. That's why, doing such thing could be considered as no other than self-destruction or suicide.

Most of the aristocrats prioritizes what they have at present, after all. One small mistake, and they might lose something major. That's just how it works here.

As such, in this occurrence, there's no way that the people that this Viscountess conversed with earlier would conspire with her even if she look at them with such a wishful expression. But somehow, I kind of want to involve them in the more they hate the way that the Viscountess wanted them to give her some assistance. Furthermore, it should be fine if I pick just one person, right?

I had an evil smirk once I came up with that idea.

There's no reason for me to not do something like that, is there? It's their fault for making me mad during my birthday party.

(Note: She was the one that caused herself to get mad.)

Once I've made a decision, I immediately opened my mouth and started to speak.

"You.", I said, the moment I pointed my index finger again to another woman, which came from the group that the Viscountess associated with before I made a scene.

"I know that you are aware of what Lady Ellis murmured about me. So, you better remember every single detail of what she said."

"O-of course I remember!", she replied with a sense of obedience.

"Very well. Then, could you spill it for us? It seems like Lady Ellis has gone mute all of a sudden.", I uttered as I gazed back at the Viscountess when I mentioned her in my phrase.

"Also, if possible, impersonate the way she spoke to make it more realistic.", I added, demandingly.

"I-I understand, oh young lady of S-Shevaria.", she courteously responded as if she was trying to please me with words, but in a flustered tone of a kind.

After that, the woman started to retail and enact what I demanded her to. And when she finally finished to perform what was needed to be done, I gave her a word of praise for her efforts. At least, she wasn't as stubborn as the Viscountess when I asked her to leak the information that I wanted to expose in front of the spectators. Lady Ellis was just too good at beating around the bush.

"Well done. You didn't miss a single word."

"I-It is an honor to be praised by the young lady of Shevaria."

Not long after, I shouted a name.

"Viola!"

"Yes, milady.", my personal maid came to my service in just one second.

"Bring 'that thing'."

"Understood."

Thereafter, the servant quickly did as I ordered. On the meantime that she's gone, I decided to finish things up first since I didn't want to waste my time here anymore. The only thing that I urge to do right now is to go back to my room and take a rest. My body is starting to get heavy because this event was quite exhausting. With an experience like this, I no longer had the motivation to open up a party again.

"Not to mention, 'There must be something going on with them.', huh..."

Soon after I whispered the most intriguing phrase that the Viscountess murmured to the others, I quickly went back to reality and began to give the show a proper resolution.

This left me no other choice but to declare 'that thing' in order to satisfy the guests' curiosity concerning my relationship with Aiden.

"Now then, Viscountess Ellis.", I chalantly uttered and continued.

"You have suspected that there is something between Sir Aiden and I, am I not correct?"

"I-It's just as you say, Lady Sherryl..."

Before, I could give the Viscountess a reply, I firstly crouched in order to match my height with her, since she was still on her knees.

"Your guess might be precise, Lady Ellis. But, in a different way."

The moment I said that statement, everyone has become rowdy. They started to get noisy as they went ahead on their own world, just to gossip around.

Soon enough, the Duke charged toward my direction while he shouted out Sherryl's name with a conflicted demeanor. Of course, he'd act like that since he didn't know anything about this at all, just like how he never saw this kind of plot twist to occur.

I halted his actions with a hand gesture until he stopped himself from going nearby my side, from a position that is a bit farther from my range.

Meanwhile, the Viscountess had a big smiled on her face. Her expression became something similar to mockery. And then, she had a feigned laughter like a madman.

"See?! My suspicions were correct, all along!!", she proudly boasted with a loud voice.

She might've wished to annoy me at the same time with something as cheap as that. However, the only thing that I could feel while watching her was disappointment.

I gazed at the Viscountess with eyes of pity.

To think that she would be this extreme over something like that... Moreover, the fact that that smile of hers will soon wither once I start explaining somehow made me feel sympathy toward her.