Chapter 88

Chapter 88: To Disappear Without Proper Goodbyes

[]Melissa's Perspective []

The servants gathered and stood by their respective positions, in preparation for the return of the current head of Shevaria from the main gate to the entrance hall of the mansion.

While my half-brother, Lucian waited for the Duke's arrival down the double staircases, I anticipated the appearance of his birth mother rather than our father by the left part of my view, above the stairs. I lurked somewhere around the corner so that I wouldn't reach the two's sight, the moment they set their feet inside the house. In all sorts of reasons, I didn't wish to directly meet the Duchess for now, seeing how the Duke would be right next to her as well.

It would also be awkward in many ways if I went there so casually, especially when the turns of events would slowly turn into something of a nice family reunion.

In short, to the public's opinion, I'd be nothing but a home-wrecker if I were there.

As I had such thoughts, Aiden, who stayed next to my side to fulfill his duties, whispered a statement to my ears.

"Milady. Are you really not going to greet them down there, like the young master?", he asked.

"On that stage, my existence is unwanted. Not to mention, it's not like I have any obligation to poke into their businesses.", I spoke as if it was natural.

"Lady Melissa......"

"Don't look at me like that, Aiden. You're making me feel unpleasant."

Even if the black-haired juvenile sympathized with my situation, I felt empty.

Every time I could hear the clock's hands ticking so the day would move forward to bring home a new tomorrow, I would reflect upon myself in front of the mirror, noticing the changes inside me in every twenty-four hours.

Let's be frank, this might be a good thing because it signals for an improvement or a nice change of pace. But sometimes, my mind would stray; My hesitations would derive me to wonder whether things would really be fine if it proceeded this way. Like that, I'd always end up clinging onto another false hope, which would be no different from before. And for that to stop happening, I've decisively chosen to put an end to my meaningless, deep pondering, before it gets too late.

I know it too well, since it's my own emotions. To forget about my lingering attachments to the past was for the best, and I'd prefer not to deny its independent development. Using this opportunity, I sincerely hoped that I could move on from just expecting for nothing. There's also my realization the other day about the Duke's intentions, after all.

There was no point in assuming that our relationship would still improve, seeing how I finally understood his true nature. Even if it miraculously did, I could guess how discontented my expression would turn into. It'd be plainly...

"... too sour."

Hearing my murmuring, a question mark popped out of Aiden's head.

"It's nothing.", I responded, smiling.

Soon after that, the double doors widely opened along with the entrance of the tall man whose hair has shone in a dark brown color, welcomed by the residents of the mansion.

""Welcome back, your grace."", they courteously stated, in sync.

"Mhm. Did any unfortunate issues arise within the Dukedom, during my absence?"

"Your grace needn't to concern himself over any matters as such, for everything has been proceeding peacefully and well.", replied, Lucian, who's been responsible for filling in his father's position.