Chapter 62

Chapter 62: The Sin that She Has Committed

[]Melissa's Perspective []

"".....""

She looks like she's thinking about something again... I thought as I took a peek of the Duchess' profile.

Though she might've seemed so fixated over the book in her hands, she never flips to the next page. The direction of her stare doesn't change either.

It shouldn't be strange to think that something happened during her stay at House Aubetré.

But then, I think it would be improper to directly ask about her situations, no? Furthermore, even after an observation or two since she came back, I still couldn't find any specific clues concerning the matter that I've pondered upon, the other day.

"Really, just why..."

Why did you try to kill me, Duchess...?

"Is something the matter?", she asked, to my shock.

"Ah... It's nothing, Duchess.", I replied, hiding my intentions.

Even after receiving a response from me, Duchess Fleurette continued to give me a long stare. I got nervous over this, thinking that she saw through my lie.

I pretended to be busy reading the book in my grasp, to avoid having an eye contact with her.

Just then, she finally spoke.

".....Tomorrow... Let's meet at my garden."

"Now that you've mentioned it, we haven't enjoyed our time leisurely right there despite the snow stopped falling."

"There's that too, but I have another reason this time."

"By reason, you mean?"

Before the Duchess could give me an answer, she firstly averted her gaze.

"I have something... to confess to you."

.......What?

The confusion followed me back to my room ever since that moment.

"...I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything like this in my previous life.", I murmured while I rubbed my chin.

"Milady?"

"It's nothing, Viola."

It shouldn't be unnatural for new events to take place, I guess. After all, I've taken a different course of action compared to what I've done in my past life.

Nevertheless, I think I shouldn't let my guard down even if the other person was the Duchess, just as always. I still don't know the reason, but... she might try and kill me anytime, like before.

As I kept that in mind, I noticed how early I left the Duchess' manor.

If I remember it correctly, she said she had a business with someone...

As far as I knew, there shouldn't have been any guests coming today. Did she promised a meet up with my bastard brother?

"....."

I slowly shifted my gaze on my shoes.

I must've been too ignorant of my surroundings when I was in this age. I thought.

I never really considered thinking about what was around me during those days since I was busy with my issues. Whether it may be reasons or possibilities that had something to do with the people that were out of the range of my sight... I've turned a blind eye on these.