Chapter 53

Chapter 53: The Shocking Truth(2)

"Ah...!-"

I stuttered soon after unconsciously spouting what I've guessed.

The Priest must've been shocked as well, hearing the nonsensical things that I uttered.

There was no way that I would be the banished Lady Evangeline's child. After all, there was Sherryl, left behind on Duke Shevaria's hands during the day of her parting.

And even if my guess was correct, my existence would be in question since it was never said that twins were born or anything.

That's right. It must be pure coincidence! I thought.

"May I ask how did the lady come to that conclusion?"

"I-I apologize for saying such nonsense...!!"

"No- I didn't mean it in a bad way.", said the Priest while he waved his hands for a moment, then added.

"I wish to learn about the lady's thoughts."

At first, I felt unsure whether I should really tell him what I guessed. However, it would be rather rude of me if I were to refuse to answer or tell him lies instead. As such, at the very end, I have decided to retail the details to him.

I took a deep breath before starting.

"If the child that Lady Evangeline has given birth to were twins, it would be explainable that I was one of those children. When one gives birth to an infant, the result will always be announced after the process. Therefore..."

Before I could finish my final sentence, the Priest began to speak.

"'If she had an accomplice with her right there, she can easily bring the children with her'. Is that what you're trying to say?"

"Y-yes. Nevertheless, she must've never expected that her children would be twins. It's impossible for a person to carry two infants at one time. That's why, Sherryl was left behind..."

"I see... You're quite clever despite your age.", he said, smiling.

Hmm...?

I was bugged, hearing his phrase.

Something was strange. I thought he knew something about me, going back in time, and that he also had memories of the past timeline with him. If so, then why did he say such words of praise?

I began suspecting the Priest. And as I doubted him, he continued with his demeanor that looked lonely even after having a feint smile.

"Most of the things you said were correct."

I couldn't help but widen my eyes out of astonishment.

If my assumption was correct, then that could only mean...

That I am truly Duke Wendell's child.

I was unsure whether I would believe the Priest's words or not. However, with his expression and physical appearance that was identical to my mother's, I felt like he was someone that I could trust. He didn't seem to be lying either. And even if it was a lie, he wouldn't gain anything from it.

I didn't know what to think after that. At the moment, I left my ears open in order to hear out the rest of the story.

"My sister... she was a very kind and strong person. While saying that she'd let me attain freedom, she shouldered all of the responsibilities as the successor of the Holy Temple and House De Clemente. Though, because of the sudden turns of events, her efforts went to waste somehow.", he reminisced with his gaze shifted into nothingness.

"Love sure is something worth to be feared of, isn't it?"

I was bewildered once the topic has suddenly went to that direction. However, he's made a point.

I, myself, have experienced how fearful love's existence can be. It's something scary enough that could easily lead anyone to a miserable outcome. And also something... which was unnecessarily regretful.

"...I was your mother's accomplice. And for her sake,-"

"I have pointed a weapon toward several persons."

Soon after the Priest whispered those words loud enough for me to hear, he smiled ironically.

He probably threatened those who were present during that time, that place, to keep their mouth shut about her sister's children, being twins.

He, himself likely didn't wish to do it that way. Nevertheless, with time running out, he might've had no other choice.

"I'm such a disgrace for a servant of God, am I not?"

I couldn't bring myself to tell him any words of encouragement such as 'That's not true.' or 'You did the right thing.'.

To the people he threatened to kill back then... in their eyes, he'd be nothing else but a phony right now, pretending to be a person with virtues and a pure heart. And as for me, I didn't have the right to say what was right and wrong in this issue. Because, I was partly at fault in this mess, for existing.

".....I'm sorry.", I uttered, not being wise enough to know what the opponent wanted me to say.

Nevertheless, I wanted to apologize for what I caused him to do. That's why, I poured my sincerity toward him.

Once the incident is revealed, he'd likely be punished for breaking the law after all. And that'd result him to be scorned in the society.

With that, I hardly think that he wouldn't bear even the slightest grudge at me.

"Likewise, I apologize for bringing this up before the main discussion."

"Also, about my mother....."

"I know.", he interrupted, then phrased another sentence with the same meaning after.

"I am aware.", he said with a lonesome portion in his smile.

Of course, he'd react that way. His bravery was inspiring, to be able to keep a smile on his face while he was suffering in actuality.

I wish I was that strong too... I thought.

From that point, we left off the previous conversation and entered to the main topic.

As someone who can perceive God's voice, apparently he received a message from the heavens saying that I'd be coming to the Temple. And that's where the words 'The Emperor's Queen Consort' came from, serving as something like a keyword or so he said.

I thought of it as something unbelievable. However, there was a chance of it being real since it came out from the lips of someone from House De Clemente. Furthermore, I daresay that the issue about me, traveling through time would seem to be more unreal.

There, I also decided to spill the beans concerning how time has rewound with my memories containing the future events of the path that I chose before.

It wouldn't bring me demerits anyway even if I told it off to someone. Whether he believe it or not, I decided to push the decision to him. To a surprise, he believed my story though, and told me that he'd gladly find some clues related to the case.

Our communication ended there with me, who was still disturbed about the fact that I was actually blood-related to Duke Wendell.

Thereafter, I came to have the thought...

'What's the point of knowing that?'

That's right..... Everything...

It was all just too late.