Chapter 112

Chapter 112: Landmark

[]Melissa's Perspective []

What in the actual f*ck is going on here...?

That was the only question that I could come up with as I silently watched the duke and my half-brother arguing so passionately as though they completely forgot my existence.

Although at first, they kept on debating in a very rational manner including my existence involved in the issue, now all that was left to be said with their lips were cursed yet indescribable words, spitted at one another.

"@&#&^&!^@&?!!"

"!@()@*!&#^#$^@@&!@$(#^@!!!"

Well, to say it frankly, the reason why their statements were revealed this way was actually because of my hands, covering both of my ears to keep it from bleeding in a matter of time after hearing out the rest of their loud conversation.

Nevertheless, if this continued, Lucian would undoubtedly lose and get disciplined by the higher authority within the duke's possession, unless he'd miraculously end up persuading him at the very end of this chaos. But on the other hand, if the former were to happen, I'd rather be thrilled to see how it would unfold in visual, considering how rare it would be for him to be punished by the duke, who doted on his son despite moderately.

Should I just sit still, till it ends?

Thinking that, the young master's motive for doing something like this suddenly crossed my mind.

I couldn't help but doubt his intentions for taking my side, out of nowhere, when he clearly expressed his hostility toward me, during the night of the invitation at the Duchess' Greenhouse. Not to mention, it's impossible for him to not loathe me one bit when I just beat him up for my own satisfaction, a few hours earlier.

Only confusion could dye my emotions, with no lead of whatever he desired from me in exchange and in hand, amid this opportunity.

That said, it's true that thanks to his interruption, the lashing stopped and gave me a chance to recover from the consecutive pain, although temporary as things stood at the moment.

I partly disliked falling into obvious traps, but... it's not like the fundamental problem would get solved just from Lucian's imperfect attempt to convince his father to stop this mistreatment at once, only to get overwhelmed along myself down the pit because of the opponent's advantageous position.

"......"

I carefully sharpened the look in my eyes as I slowly exposed my ears to the noisy surroundings.

"Why don't you stop blaming her for your fault?! In the first place, you were the one who unilaterally saw her as Sherryl and dragged her into this mansion, weren't you?!"

"You should be the one to know his place for utilizing the current situation against a helpless child!!!", the young master continued.

Just before I was about to step between their clashing of opinions, I stiffened up to wholly hear out Lucian's heated justification which defended myself with facts.

Huh...?

My eyes went into the verge of dripping tears, before I knew it.

The words that I couldn't tell the duke was now surprisingly revealed by my brother whom I often described as a bastard, on my behalf. I was very sure that he wouldn't know how much such a simple thing has affected and saved my unreleased emotions.

I've set aside the tears and curved my lips with a meek smile instead. Thereafter, I took a deep breath to save these feelings for when I lie on my bed tonight, and switched gears to match with my plans.