Chapter 51; Beginning of Season 2

Chapter 51: A Letter Of Invitation

Days have passed after we went to the Imperial Capital, with a short detour to the Temple.

By now, Duchess Fleurette has already left the mansion for her visit at House Aubetré.

I felt a bit disappointed of her absence.

Duchess Fleurette was a friend of mine. And I often set my foot at her place after a momentary break whenever I finished lunch.

Currently, I would've been reading romance-themed books that I wasn't able to read in my previous life with her, present. But because she wasn't at the Shevaria Household right now, that became impossible. I can't just enter her manor so simple thanks to that, after all.

Should I go train with Mentor? I pondered in my room, lying on the bed.

I had nothing to do every time my reading schedule was canceled. These past few days, I have been going to Holger's place consecutively to improve my skills instead, but...

'Won't you give me a break? I'm also busy with my shop, y'know?'

I recalled what Mentor told me yesterday.

Even if he said that, I don't wish to get murdered by boredom. Nevertheless, it was true that I did bother him and I'm reflecting on myself for that. But still...

"I'm so damn bored."

Just then, someone knocked the door.

"Lady Melissa, this is the Head Butler."

With the head butler seeking for my presence could only mean that his business had something to do with the Duke.

I wonder what it is about...

"You may enter.", I commanded while getting up from the bed.

The door slowly opened and exposed the butler's figure, bowing before me.

"What might be your business?", I straightforwardly asked.

"His grace has summoned you to the study, young miss.", he answered.

Duke Wendell must've had something important to discuss. Rather, I believe he wouldn't call me over some trivial matters, seeing how our relationship has become right now.

I didn't know if I should think of this positively or negatively. But since I had nothing else to do, would it be better for me to express my gratitude to the Duke, I wonder?

I passed through the hallways with the Butler leading the way in my front.

Strange.....

On the meantime, I was mystified. When I went outside my room, I couldn't see any trace of Aiden, who was supposed to be fulfilling his duty to guard me.

Was he skipping his work...?

I had that assumption, but I couldn't imagine that Aiden skipping his duties.

It didn't took us long until we reached the Study room.

The Butler's duty was finished there so he parted ways with me, leaving me alone in front of the closed double doors.

As I knocked the door thrice, I pondered of how I should face Duke Wendell.

After hearing that story, at first I thought that I could still manage things as usual as if what I heard was nothing to me. But, now I see that several things doesn't go as expected.

"Come in."

I flinched, hearing the Duke's voice.

Before I could even ask for his permission to intrude the place, he already responded. I guess it was normal for him to know that it was me, since he was the one that asked me to come here from the start.

While being a bit stiffened up, I opened the door.

There, I saw him holding a pen while tending the paperwork on his desk. Somehow, I felt at ease that we didn't meet each other's eyes.

As soon as I entered the room, I immediately knelt before him to pay my respects.

"Enough with that. It just brings back bad memories."

"I-I understand........."

I gently stood and recomposed myself after.

I didn't know what to say after that. As expected, 'that issue' must've affected me.

"Erm....."

"Take a look inside that envelope over there.", said the Duke with his eyes focused on his work.

I obediently did as he asked and picked up the envelope.

The first thing that went to my sight was the crest on the seal. There was only one family that had that kind of crest.

The Imperial Family of Asquith.

I immediately checked the contents of the letter inside the envelope.

This is-

"An invitation letter..."

From then, the Duke began to speak.

"The Mourning Day is approaching. This time, you will be coming with us."

The Mourning Day. Rather than a celebration, it is an occasion in memorial of the late Emperors and Empresses, hosted and proposed by Emperor Leonard soon after his wife's life has ended.

(Note: In case everyone doesn't remember, Leonard is Noah's father.)

The main purpose of this event is to send off white lilies to a flowing river, believing that its end leads to the afterlife.

"Didn't your grace once said that I will no longer participate in these occasions?", I asked.

"It's been years since you've attended events that were hosted by the Imperial Family. Others aren't aware that our ties have been cut down. And it won't hurt denying to participate in events."

"However, the Imperial Family is a special case."

The Duke had a point. No- It might be better for me to say that I knew what he was pointing at. After all, I was informed of the same thing in my previous life.

If I continue to deny the Imperial Family too often, it will be suspected as something similar to a revolting action against them. Specially, when it's about an important gathering like this approaching occasion.

"I understand. I will attend it."

I could only answer that phrase.

"I will prepare a dress for you. You may go now."

"Y-yes."

As soon as I left the room, I couldn't help but feel uneasy again, thinking that I will have no choice but to meet the Crowned Prince once I enter the stage where the event will commence.

It's a custom to greet the Imperial Family in order to show one's loyalty, specially during occasions that are hosted by them. As such, we will surely encounter each other formally this time.

Customs, is what they call it? Screw that!!, I thought frustratingly, hoping if only I could deny the invitation.