Chapter 55

Chapter 55: Cowardice

Moments after Jeremiah has finished chanting the prayer, the bell rang thrice with a loud sound as if it was according to the script.

If I remember it correctly, the bell at the center of the Imperial Capital rings during six o'clock in the morning, under the purpose of awakening the citizen just like an alarm clock.

For a great coincidence, it rang right on the moment where the rest of us would begin to set the white lilies on the running water.

And at the same time, it occurred when the sun finally exposed itself.

That made us witness a beautiful sight.

I could hear the others murmuring how clear it was that Marquis Jeremiah was a real deal from such a tiny miracle, while waiting for their turns to arrive.

It didn't leave me a choice but to glance at their direction, carrying a guilt with me.

If they were to know about what the Priest hid from them, it'd cause a great impact in no doubt.

As someone in fault for that incident, I couldn't bear to think of a day where the truth would be revealed.

If only I was smart enough to think of a solution.....

With that in mind, I walked without my consciousness.

Until, it became too late for me to realize that I was separated from Lucian and the Duke.

A moment ago, they were just nearby. But now, I came to be all alone in the midst of the crowd.

The situation was a little problematic.

I bet they'll scold me for this. I nonchalantly thought.

The only thing I had with me right now was a white lily. While, I stood in a position that was a meter close to the river.

Out of convenience, I have decided to focus more on the flower drifting rather than searching the other two that came with me. In a way, I thought of this as an opportunity to run away from them, in order to avoid myself from meeting up with the Imperial Family.

I am aware that they would be able to spot me soon enough. But even then, this should be the least that I can do to buy myself some time before I get dragged to have an audience with the Emperor and the Crowned Prince.

In no time, my feet reached the space where I could crouch and place the lily that I held to the flowing water below.

I didn't waste a single time to do the process and carefully let the flower float above the water and get washed away by the stream.

"My, your flower has drifted away prettily.", the person next to me uttered all of a sudden.

"Is that so?", I reflexively replied as I looked by her way.

I immediately stopped moving once the lady's profile entered my view.

Even my mouth that was half open after a smile froze out because of shock.

"Of course.", she responded with a beaming aura surrounding her.

Then noticing my stiffened state with her gentle-looking eyes of amber, she asked.

"Is something wrong?"

I couldn't give her an answer that soon. That's because...

She... was no other than one of the people that I was supposed to avoid at all cost.

"Natasha..."

Without knowing, I blurted out the name of the person that conversed with me.