Chapter 32

Chapter 32: Her Wish

In my previous life, during my eighteenth birthday, the Duke called me by my real name for the first time.

I might've ended up being quite enraged that time for various reasons. However, in truth... I was very happy.

I was happy... thinking that he finally acknowledged me as Melissa, and not Sherryl. Even the tears that I shed that day were truthfully the proof of how happy I was. But even still, I didn't have the confidence to visualize it on the surface. After all, I knew that the happiness that I felt must've been something fleeting. That's why...

I put an end to it.

I didn't want to love him as my father anymore. Because if I do, the closer our distance become, the further will I suffer when I come to know that he sees Sherryl in me again. I was scared that everything would be shattered into pieces once more. Hence, I also chose to distance myself from him.

However....... I...

'I don't want it like this.'

That was the desire that I sealed away.

I told myself for numerous times that I should give up. Thus, I decided to leave the mansion in peace, knowing that no one would disagree with that idea. Nonetheless, my inner self didn't want to give in. In fact, I still hoped that there would still be something to change this bullsh*t into a greater resolution. I wanted to believe that.

But, when I was about to leave the house, everyone wore a smile on their faces. They had a tiny laugh of true satisfaction that sore my ears.

'The outsider will finally go away.'

That statement was written on their expressions.

They have been very brazen to bid me farewell that way. It was a truly stunning sight to see. And the way that neither the Duke and my brother didn't even bother to show up made my chest feel heavy.

Then once again, I recalled the Duke's words that frequently rang on my ears.

'She is a part of our family now.'

"....."

I shouldn't have believed that lie. I thought.

That statement used to comfort me back then but it became a phrase that would pierce needles in my heart.

The fact that the Duke wasn't present that time made it clear that he didn't give a damn about me at all. There was no hope between us. But still.......

'I loved him.'

He was my first father. And although I was just a substitute of Sherryl, for once, his fatherly love toward me felt very real.

My inner self still didn't wish to believe that it all ends just like that. And so, I pleaded to the Duke in my thoughts.

I beg of you.......

Please don't abandon me.

I wanted to retail those words to him. I wanted him to love me again. And make me smile. And comfort me with a hug whenever I feel sadness. And share the same table with me at the dining room. And sip the same tea during our afternoon tea parties. And.......

....I want him to be my father again.

Only then was I able to realize...

That the meaning behind those wishes-

Was just me, urging to go back to the past.

I slowly opened my eyes and then a tear flowed down from it. I woke up in my room, being confused of what I was crying for.

Did I have a bad dream...? I tilted my head to the side as I wondered about it.

But after a while of pondering, I couldn't seem to remember what I dreamt about. All I remembered was that I had a realization of something very important.

I wonder what that was.........

Afterwards, I noticed that I had a wet towel on my forehead. I slowly rose from the bed and grasped this with one of my hands. But then, a sound came out from my stomach.

I appears that it was growling out of hunger. And after a short recollection, I whispered,

"Right... I didn't have breakfast yet."

So in the end, did I skip my meeting with the Duke as well? I thought.

*creak* A sound came out from the entrance door.

Following that, I saw a woman's figure coming inside with a bunch of fully bloomed, fresh flowers in her hands.

It was my personal maid, Viola. By the way that she opened the door, it seems like she was being careful to prevent herself from disturbing my deep slumber.

After she opened the door, she widened her eyes as soon as our eyes met. It was quite of a unique sight for me since Viola never really showed any expression on her face till now. As such, I thought of her as a living doll.

"Uhh.... Good morning? Viola.", I greeted her.

"Milady.....", she murmured and dropped the flowers that she brought.

The bouquet was brilliantly scattered down the floor, leading it to create a mess. And leaving that behind, Viola dashed away from the setting and left the door wide open.

What's wrong with her?

A question mark popped out from my head as that question lingered in my mind.

Thereafter, I stared at the window nearby, without leaving the bed. From there, I saw the skies having a light orangey color. It was afternoon already.

Just how long did I sleep? Moreover, why didn't anyone wake me up?!

It was a no wonder that my stomach started growling like that, earlier. I skipped breakfast and lunch, or so it seems.

I thought that everything was going smoothly that moment. However for some reason, my body has become heavy and I started to feel very hot, all of a sudden.

I see....... I got a fever...

Just when I had that in mind, I heard footsteps approaching my room.

"Sherryl!!", the man shouted as soon as he arrived.

It was Duke Wendell. And behind him was a panting Viola.

"Father...", I responded to him while he rushed to my side and hugged me after.

"Thank goodness."

With a sense of relief, he embraced me tightly in his arms. And when he did that, I strangely thought that it was a deja vu.

Soon, he compared our temperatures with care and said,

"It's still high. You should take more rest after a meal.", he advised.

"Viola."

"Yes, your grace?"

"Tell the chef to prepare a porridge. Also, bring it here if it's finished."

"Understood."

Viola has left the place to carry out the Duke's orders, meanwhile I was stuck alone with him.

"Your birthday is during the day after tomorrow, and yet you got ill at this timing.", he whispered on his own and sighed.

Our reactions were polar opposite. Although I didn't show any sign of great joy on the surface right now, I had a wide grin deep inside to say it frankly.

Ahh... The heavens must be on my side!