Chapter 28

Chapter 28: Reconciliation

The vacant seat that Lucian used to sit upon whenever I was present has now graduated from being empty.

Nonetheless, that didn't change the way that it made me think that it was refreshing and different as usual. I hoped that with this opportunity, he would eat on the same table with us from now on. But the story might be different, depending on the Duke's decision...

".....I must've interrupted you from eating...", he said.

"There is no need to worry about that. I can finish this up later on."

"...I see."

"......."

I stared at the Lucian that couldn't meet my gaze. And then, I started to unnecessarily ponder about things again.

How ironic....... I thought.

This was no other than irony. And if one would think about it deeply, they would just think that I made a fool of myself.

The elder brother that I used to detest, Lucian. Back then, I told myself for numerous times that it was a must for me to not forgive him. But now, I'm doing what I can to make up with him.

I could hear my inner self, trying to tell me that I should stop this farce. A prevention for me to repeat the same mistake. However, that will couldn't prevent me from what I have been doing.

Something was forcing that desire to get sealed away. And neither do I know what was that something that I mentioned.

Have I set my foot to another thorny path, I wonder? Have I made..... another mistake?

"I'm sorry.....", the boy before my eyes murmured.

Come to think of it, this might've been the first time that Lucian willingly gave me a word of apology.

Never did I know that a moment like this would ever come. But I was glad of this kind of change.

The Lucian in my previous life... I didn't want to say this for I was aware that this was just an excuse. But.....

That Lucian was the Lucian that I resented. And I believe that he wouldn't be the same in this life.

He will not be the same as that bastard. I will make sure of that.

"Let me confirm something first-"

"Why was that doll in your hands?", I questioned.

Before Lucian answered, he faced me properly and mustered his courage to finally meet my gaze, head on.

"I was waiting for your arrival that time, but it took a while before you came back to your room. So, I looked around the place out of boredom."

"How did you find it, then? I hid it under the bed, you know."

"What are you talking about? It was normally placed on your bed. And I just took it out of whim since it looked like a cheap toy."

I was mystified of his story. I was certain that before I went to meet the Duchess, it wasn't on the be-

"So that's it!!!", I shouted as I abruptly made a stand.

"Y-yes, that's it.", Lucian replied, misunderstanding the meaning of my phrase.

No wonder! Before I have gone to the Duchess' place, I have encountered several maids that told me that they were about to clean up my room. And I permitted them to that without thinking it through!

"I'm really sorry...", he repeated.

"No- Stop apologizing! I should be the one saying that!"

This is a mess. Definitely a mess. And I've made this mess!

Let's just finish this off...!! I declared and quickly opened my mouth.

"I was the one that caused this ruckus. That's why-"

I slowly bowed in front of his surprised expression.

"I ask for your forgiveness, elder brother. No-"

"The future heir of the Shevaria Family."

Lucian flinched, noticing what I meant by my statement.

As the young Duke of Shevaria, a formal apology of whoever was lower to him was the basic of the basics. This was something that was needed to be done.

"You may raise your head."

I did as he instructed.

"I, Lucian Hudde von Shevaria, has accepted your apology."

"You are forgiven."

That time, I saw potential in his eyes that shone like silver. I wished for this potential to not be used in a wrong path. And prayed that his future would be a brighter one.

With that, my reconciliation with Lucian ended as a success.

And then, the next day...

".......Do you not like today's breakfast?", the Duke asked.

"No, father. I'm waiting for someone."

When the Duke heard my response, he looked slightly confused that a question mark popped out from his head.

Not long after, someone finally knocked the door.

One handmaiden went to open it for us while I started to draw Wendell's attention.

"Father.", I called out to him as I held my chin with both of my hands.

And with the same timing when the boy entered the place, I added with a smile,

"Can elder brother join us too?"

The Duke's eyes widened as soon as he saw his son entering the room. He most likely never saw this coming at all.

".....Lucian.", he whispered.

More than surprise, I saw the joy coming out from Wendell's face. Although his eyes were as cold as ever, I could saw through his real emotions with my intuition.

He must've also waited for this day even though he said something like he would never tolerate Lucian or anything.

"May I join you, father?"

"Of course....... Of course you can."

The scene was like a heartwarming reunion between a parent and child. It was novel-like development that I very much adored, and envied at the same time.

And in the midst of that event, my thoughts suddenly arose.

Foolishness. The fact that I envied the development was nothing but foolishness.

With that in mind, I recalled the Duke's words.

'She is a part of our family now.'

"....."

I emptily smiled after that phrase whispered in my ears again.

Then, I thought,

Ridiculous...

Yes. It was utterly ridiculous. After all, in the very end...

I was just an outsider.