Chapter 54

Chapter 54: The Mourning Day

After a long time has passed, the carriage finally stopped its movements in front of a gigantic, white, gate of bars.

We have arrived at our destination. Though, in fact the main stage lied deeper beyond that gate.

Since the area from there was already considered as a portion of the Imperial Palace, carriages were no longer allowed to proceed.

In other words, we needed to walk with our own feet starting from that point.

The Duke was the first one to leave the carriage. Following him was Lucian, then lastly me.

"...Watch your step.", reminded, the Duke, knowing that I was wearing shoes with heels.

After that, he went straight to the personnel that checked the invitation letter and handed the thing for them to analyze.

I carefully stepped out my right foot on the wide stair below. Until, a hand held out to me view.

"...Oh."

It was Lucian's hand.

I see. We need to keep the act up from here. I realized.

Since it would be easier to keep the agreement going, the Duke proposed to not reveal this in public, in order to avoid troublesome accidents from happening. And of course, the mouths of the servants from house Shevaria were sealed off as well.

It's a good thing that Lucian was informed of that case too, but...

To think that we'd have the need to act this way, I'm rather reluctant to do it. Nonetheless, it looks like I had no other choice in this situation. It was also decided specifically for my sake, anyhow.

I took his hand and accepted his assistance, leaving the carriage completely.

Thereafter, we moved on when we were finally permitted to proceed inside.

"Don't you mess up.", he whispered.

"I'd say that right back at you, young master.", I replied with a low voice.

"Tch."

Woah. This f*cking bastard. He's gotten rather cocky.

Being irritated by his attitude, I tightened the grip of my hand, which was held by Lucian.

"...urgh. You!"

"Is something wrong, elder brother?", I said with a passive smile on my face.

Biting his lower lip, he looked a bit frustrated. Then looking away with his eyes still narrowed, he replied.

"It's nothing."

"Heh."

Once he swiftly turned back his head toward my face with furrowed brows, I immediately wore a mask full of innocence.

"Hmm?", I acted as if I knew nothing concerning the reason why he looked by my way.

"Haa...", he made a lazy sigh as if he conceded.

Guess, I won. I thought with an obvious smug on my face.

Soon after, I came to have a realization as I watched the structures of the visible castles.

It's been years since I last saw this scenery. I didn't know whether I should be thrilled or not now that I've set my foot in this place once again.

Thinking that made me grasp my neck with my other hand.

The sensation of my neck being sliced apart by the guillotine lingered even now.