Chapter 43

Chapter 43: The Little Bodyguard

"She has a visitor?", I asked the bodyguard at the entrance door of Duchess Fleurette's manor.

"Yes. It was her grace's younger sister, if I am correct...", replied, the guard, as he rubbed his chin with his index finger.

So the Duchess had a younger sister.....

While I had that in mind, I felt a bit troubled.

I came to read romance-themed books with her in order to satisfy my boredom, but... It seems like that's impossible now.

I sighed. I didn't really know what else to do except for that. Anyhow, I was just too bored. I felt uncomfortable that I couldn't perform a task or two.

"Lady She-, I mean... Lady Melissa."

"It's been so long and yet you still can't fix that, huh."

"I-I'm sorry..."

"I didn't mean it like I was scolding you, though..."

"I'm really sorry......."

This won't go anywhere, right...? I thought, feeling bothered of the fact that the volume of his voice shrank when he apologized for the second time.

Now, I could only feel bad, thinking that I was being a bad guy for some reason.

I patted the black-haired juvenile's head that stood behind me.

Wait, is this deja vu...?

That thought suddenly occurred to me.

I felt like a moment like this happened before, but in a different way.

An image suddenly popped out in my head.

Right... In my previous life.

In a garden at the Imperial Palace, I once patted Aiden's head like this after I phrased an embarrassing line. And I remember struggling because of the difference of our heights.

How nostalgic. I thought.

At present, my height was a bit higher than his. What's more, it seems like I was older than him although it's just for a few months, because of our birthdate. Mine was on late winter, and his was during spring after all.

"Don't worry. Eventually, you'll be able to address me correctly.", I uttered with a smile.

"I-I'll do my best!", he responded.

Aiden was such an adorable child in his youthful days. I often got soothed by him when I was in a gloomy mood, feeling like I've made a cute younger brother for myself at the same time.

Thinking that made me remind of the day when I got him and his parents' permission to employ him as my personal bodyguard.

The fact that both Baron and Baroness Faremanne came with Aiden made me feel pressured because of the thought that it would be difficult to persuade them. After all, it was like I was asking them to hand over their child to be a live-in personal bodyguard of mine.

They became quite of a worrywart midway our discussion. It was natural to feel insecure about letting their son live at the Shevaria Household, specially when their child was still a minor. And it was an enviable sight to see.

It might've been rude of me to get jealous of them at a moment like that. However, I couldn't help but look at them with eyes of longing.

"I will accept Lady Sherryl's offer. However..."