Chapter 74

Chapter 74: Sacrifices

[]Third Person's POV []

Midnight has passed when Marquis Aubetré arrived back to the mansion.

There was a sense of relief around him, the moment he came down the carriage. But not until he noticed how the servants that welcomed him looked so tense as a cold sweat flowed down the side of their faces.

The head butler who accompanied him, also realized this and asked the people about the situation before the Marquis could do.

"Did something happen?", he solidly questioned, making the servants tremble in fear.

"T-that's..."

The Marquis narrowed his eyes, knowing that the contents that they would utter would displease him, to the point that they would waver this fast. He sighed while closing his eyes with his brows, furrowed, and began to speak.

"Quit the delay and just tell me what happened."

"But, milord-...!!"

"Shh!!"

As soon as the handmaiden tried to talk back to the master with that pale demeanor of hers, another attendant tightly grabbed her wrist and prevented her from doing so. Then, she indirectly told her to stop her actions by shaking her head in denial, and kept her calm for the moment no matter how desperate she was.

"That's suicidal, Avery.", she advised her.

The Marquis watched this from afar, yet they were fortunate enough that he chose to turn a blind eye on this.

It was then that someone finally mustered up their courage to report what happened, to the lord.

"I-it was due to our carelessness, milord!!"

As the servant carefully knelt and bowed in apology for what they've done, he continued.

"Please forgive us for our incompetence!!!", he shouted, and was followed by the others to make a bow as well.

"Rather than an apology, I'd prefer to hear what exactly happened."

"S-someone has infiltrated the study... or so it seems."

The Marquis flinched as soon as the statement reached his ears.

"The moment we entered the scene, w-we... we could only watch how the place was already in a mess..."

"W-we suspected that a robbery happened, but-"

"A robbery, you say...?"

"Y-yes..."

The lord gritted his teeth, being enraged by having the thought of how useless the servants were during his short absence.

"Gather the servants at the main hall. Make sure to keep the gates closed as well."

""As you wish, milord!!"", the attendants answered in sync.

He couldn't tolerate the fact that someone managed to enter the study, specially at a time like this. A punishment wouldn't just be enough to keep him out of suspicion when the time comes, in case this robbery was actually connected to the current issues that surrounded him. He could only have a bad premonition about the uproar.

If 'that thing' comes out to be missing, I'm screwed!! He thought while biting the tip of his thumb, to the point that it bled.

He was desperate, for the matter itself could even lead him to his execution, as a result. And he didn't want such a thing to occur to him when he hasn't even reached his main goal that yet. Or else, all of his efforts would be in vain.