Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Preferences♦

Novels.

Back then, such compositions were burnt down for offending those with the same situation, which had a higher position, in reality. In short, it was considered as discrimination in the minds of those from the above.

But once its popularity rose upon the land, with many people's huge amount of support and demands, it's revival has been decided in order to prevent the conflicts for something as trivial as that.

As then, novel compositions were officially released from libraries while newborn authors kept increasing, from that point.

And the genre that reached the top vote was-

Romance.

Now, why am I talking about this, you ask?

It is because the Duchess...

Is actually very fond of romance-themed novels!

Duchess Fleurette was rumored to be a woman that wastes her husband's budget, in social circles.

And since she appeared to wear brand new dresses, accessories, and others during her participations, others thought that she wasted the penny over those things. But, what they didn't know was-

She used the money to purchase the latest or newly-released love stories in libraries.

Then as for the books that the Duchess brought, they were carefully stored in a section by the Shevarias' library.

That was also why, the moment that she slightly widened her eyes before the romance-themed book that I was about to read (which was also purchased by her), I came to know...

That she took the bait.

With this, she will probably... no- she will definitely make the first move to approach me, out of interest.

I had confidence because the me that got hooked of these stories began when the Duchess influenced me with her hobby. And as much as I remember, she was also a hardcore fan of these compositions that she offered a tip for some of the authors.

Moreover, the fact that there's only the two of us here makes it easier for her to talk about it with me, who shared a common interest with her.

And thus, after she gave me the book that I wanted and smiled at me, I waited for the lips that would open and state the words that I expected for.

Thinking that her smile was a positive response, I stared at her for a while with a strong belief that she would still continue the conversation using 'that' matter.

But instead, what came out from her mouth was...

"Is there anything else?"

"................................."

Eh?

That's all????!!!!!

I was shocked. Too surprised that I almost lost my composure and could've showed my reaction on the outside.

D-doesn't this mean that my plan has already failed? I asked myself as the astonishment and nervousness united. Then once again, with burning passion, I've decided,

A-as if I'd admit defeat that easily!

"U-umm...! T-this....!"

"Pardon?"

"Y-you also love romance-themed novels, am I not correct...?"

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I screamed internally.

Duchess Fleurette has been keeping that hobby of hers as a secret and I only came to know about that because I collaborated with her back then. But since I went back in time, at this point we weren't in a good relation yet. And still, I blurted out a phrase that could lead me into a misunderstanding.

'You also love romance-themed novels, am I not correct?', could be perceived like I was already aware of her secret!

"It seems like we will have a long discussion, young lady.~", she said with either of an empty or an unpredictable beam on her face.

~", she said with either of an empty or an unpredictable beam on her face

Wow......

Yep. I'm scared. So someone please help me.

While I had that in my thoughts, I could only force myself to smirk as I hid the face that feared the person in front of me.

Soon after that, we headed to the nearby set of chairs and tables.

We sat there while we faced each other. But in the meantime, awkwardness lingered between the two of us.

"Why not start reading?", she recommended.

"I-I will.", I stiffly replied.

Then, I gently opened the book and read it in a mannerly way.

In truth, I wanted to focus my attention onto the book that I was reading. However, I couldn't seem to do so because of the Duchess' gaze that kept staring at me, that made me quite uncomfortable as well.

"You're unexpectedly good at manners."

"Why, thank you. Duchess.", I uttered with an innocent smile.

I wonder what she meant by 'unexpectedly'... I pondered.

"It seems like you already know who I am."

...Now, how should I respond to this.

As a matter of fact, it has been a taboo to mention the Duchess' existence in front of the Duke and I, just like how everyone kept their mouth shut about the case concerning Sherryl.

And the Duchess, knowing this, she probably doubted me for having the awareness of her identity.

"Lately, there were newly-hired servants, no? I coincidentally overheard the old ones talk to them about you."

What I just said was the truth. And as I thought that it would be a good excuse, I simply made use of it.

Back then, the maids used to gossip about how wicked she was to the new ones. But I know the Duchess' attitude.

She wouldn't be cruel to anyone unless they did something to offend her. So most likely, the rumors were made from a misunderstanding or on purpose to make her the bad guy.

Really... people should just mind their own business.....

"I see...", she responded.

"So, what genre do you prefer to mix with romance?", she quickly asked.

To think that she'd change gears this fast... she's truly unpredictable.
I thought then answered,

"Drama..... I guess?"

"Hmm. For me, smut is my preference."

"Is that so."

Then, the two of us went silent once more.

"".....................""

Wait.