Chapter 103

Chapter 103: A Cleared Maze of Moving Walls

[]Melissa's Perspective []

"I have heard something intriguing from the eyes and ears of the palace."

When I was about to press the teacup on my lips as I attempted to take a sip of the drink in it, I paused halfway, right after I heard the statement of the person before my eyes at the moment.

I went on to wear my usual fake smile and mindlessly asked about what he meant by that sentence.

"What might that be, Your Majesty?", I questioned the emperor, who was the very responsible one for forcing me to hold an audience with him, through a letter of summon.

He smiled before he could answer, making me have a foreboding feeling about the flow of our conversation.

"Apparently, the pest has made its way to your side, stuck beside my son when he went to see you the other day."

Reasonable enough to fill in the purpose of this meeting. I thought, expecting as much that something like this would happen, knowing his personality.

Nevertheless, it legitimately amazes me every time he says the word 'pest' to refer to someone as well-praised and renowned as Natasha within the noble society. Even I- no matter how much I envied her in my past life, I couldn't bring myself to speak ill of her neither when there was an opportunity nor during my monologues, after all.

He was sort of worth the praise, in a different way. Though, this arrogance of his might've ascended inside himself midway his days of sitting upon the highest standing within the Empire.

I took a sip of tea so I could calm my slightly worked up nerves ahead of speaking of a satisfactory response.

"I must say, it was rather agitating to have witnessed her presence as soon as I woke up around that time."

"More than that, I'd like to ask you the results though."

That's one hella straightforward comment, huh.

Thanks to that, I wondered for an instant of his limits or how rude he could be for more to a person. There could've been the chance that this was just who the Emperor, Leonard Vermili Zeid Asquith was in the flesh, despite the imperceptible kindness that other people mention quite a lot about him, in the public.

Where went the kindness that they kept bragging on about? What a f*cking scam!

"Truthfully, I haven't made any sort of move as of yet. You can say that I decided to observe some points for a better reference, Your Majesty."

"How amusing, after all the effort you poured into the intent of teaming up with my son, a week ago or so.", he smiled and continued.

"Did you hate complying with my request that much, young lady."

As he delicately uttered the last two words, I didn't really react as much and merely relaxed myself while I took the last sip of my drink. I might've wavered at the fact that the emperor wasn't too pleased of my actions revolving around the matter, but the fact that he brought up my enticement to Noah wasn't as astonishing. It's not like I was stupid enough to not have considered a look-out or two to have been assigned somewhere nearby so my movements could be monitored at ease.

Thus, I've guessed enough that he would order some of the Crowned Prince's closest attendants to report the progress of the operation. To say it frankly, it'd be more unnatural if he didn't choose to do that though.

"I'm the type of person that doesn't let go of a beneficial opportunity if needed, you see.", I replied with honesty, regardless of how the person in front of me right now would react.