Chapter 33: The Rite of Parting

After the dust settles, a date is fixed for the Rite of Parting...

A few days went by and today was the Rite of Parting.

Paimon: Today's the day of the Rite of Parting. Although the star of the show is fake, we've spent so much time trying to organize it. It would be a real shame not to go there now.

As we walked up, we heard everyone talk about what has happened.

Fu Hua: Even though we've managed to prove that the Fatui are criminals, some are still here in Liyue.

Kallen: In the shadows. To avoid arrest.

Sakura: And in disguises too. Northland Bank isn't shut down.

We got up to Yujing Terrace. A soldier made the announcement.

Fengyan: Hear ye all the Qixing's words: Though a dragon soars ageless as the mountains, it too must return to dust. This is common knowledge. Gods and adepti live glorious lives, but both light and shadow have their season. So, too, must they face divinely-appointed trials. Rumors and hearsay abound on the streets that Rex Lapis was murdered. Now, let the truth be revealed. Having been thwarted in his trial, Rex Lapis' soul has recouped the celestial heights. He beseeches the people of Liyue to grieve not, and to not let their hearts be saddened. Nor are they to believe street-borne rumors or indulge in baseless speculation.

Paimon: Ah... Um, Paimon needs a translation on what the Qixing's announcement said.

Aether: They said that Rex Lapis wasn't murdered.

Fu Hua: They say that Rex Lapis was not assassinated by anyone.

Paimon: ...So that's how they're spinning it... Something feels off. Why would they suddenly give up looking for the murderer? Not to mention how this excuse sounds like something they just made up on the spot. Could the Qixing already have known that Rex Lapis wasn't dead? But Zhongli said that neither they nor adepti knew anything.... Hmm... Did Zhongli tell them in secret after his Gnosis changed hands?

Aether: That's possible.

Fu Hua: Ningguang hasn't told me anything yet.

Paimon: Exactly, right? Ooh, seems like the Rite of Parting has been going on for a while now. Let's go have a look.

We approached the Rite of Parting area where there were Ningguang, Keqing, and Ganyu.

Paimon: Look, it's Ningguang and Keqing.

Fu Hua: And Ganyu too.

Paimon: Are they saying something? Are their speeches over?

Fu Hua: Oh no. I think we are just in time.

Ningguang: ....As said previously, Rex Lapis' soul returning to the heavens is the end of the contract, and it is also the end of an area.

Shitou: 3,700 years of contracts, burnt and reduced to ash...

Ningguang: We, the people of Liyue were indeed prosperous. But blinded by our prosperity, we forgot that time can be pitiless.

Ying'er: The long, unending dream of our archon walking among us...

Madame Ping: Mm...

Ningguang: Now that we have awoken from our dream, we must learn to say farewell. Will you stand with us as we reestablish our contracts — as we build a new age of prosperity?

Ganyu: So concludes the words of her Eminence, the Tianquan. Does Her Eminence the Yuheng have anything to add?

Keqing looked in our direction.