Chapter 88: The Desert and Aaru Village

(Caravan Ribat)

They have temporarily lost Nahida's help, but according to the message she left behind, they will meet someone in the desert who can help them get out of the woods. To foil the nefarious plot between the Akademiya and the Fatui, they set off on another journey.

They arrived in Caravan Ribat. Joining them were Altera and Ishtar. Both servants were invisible. There were also the servants Patrick said he'd summon. They were also invisible.

Paimon: We've finally made it to Caravan Ribat. It's pretty lively here!

Asuka: It is.

Paimon: So just past this wall is the desert, huh...

Vert: Looks like it.

Paimon: Oh wow, Paimon remembers hearing people call this the Wall of Samiel. It's made to block sandstorms from the outside... If it's this tall, it's gotta be the divine work of Greater Lord Rukkhadevata, right?

Durandal: Maybe.

Aether: It is indeed quite impressive... Truly awe-inspiring.

As they were looking at the wall. A man passes by them.

Alhaitham: ...Enough gawking. Come on, follow me.

Paimon: Huh...?

Everyone: Alhaitham!?

Alhaitham: Over here.

Alhaitham ran so they did what he said and followed after him by running after him.

Paimon: Alhaitham went that way — let's hurry up and follow him. Wonder what he's up to...

They managed to catch up to him.

Durandal: Why did you want us to follow you?

Vert: Maybe that's why.

Vert pointed at some Ermite Mercenaries. It looked like they were following them.

Eremite Mercenary: What the? Where did they go!? Ugh, how did we lose 'em? They were just here a second ago...

Paimon: More Eremite mercenaries? Who're they working for this time... Anyway, Traveler, it seems like we were being followed again!

Durandal: Guess it's a good thing our groups split up.

Alhaitham: You were too careless. You should have noticed those hopeless amateurs trailing you a long time ago.

Aether: Thanks, Alhaitham.

Vert: We couldn't have shaken them without you.

Alhaitham: There's no need to thank me. I've never cared to keep track of personal favors. All I did was correct a mistake I happened to come across. It's a habit I developed at the Akademiya.

Paimon: You really gave Paimon a scare, Alhaitham! We never thought we'd run into you here. Last time we met at Port Ormos, didn't you say you were going to go back to the Akademiya? Wait... don't tell Paimon that you're here to take us back on their orders!

Alhaitham: Oh, so you've already landed yourselves on the Akademiya's hit list? Haha, I can't say that I didn't expect it.

Neptune: Exactly! We were framed and got turned into wanted fugatives!

Nepgear: We found out a terrible secret and now the Akademiya wants to silence us!

Alhaitham: However, had I wished to turn you over to the Akademiya, don't you think you'd already be the Eremites' honored guests by now?

Paimon: Oh, right... You do have a point.

Aether: Did you participate in the sages' big project?

Alhaitham: I have no interest in running errands for that project. As a scholar, I've always belonged to the camp that promotes researcher autonomy. And these days, you are more fascinating than anything the sages can offer.