Chapter 95: A Toast to Victory

(Sanctuary of Surasthana)

The large group arrived inside the Sanctuary of Surasthana where Nahida was waiting for them.

Vert and Paimon: Nahida!

Nahida: Hello, everyone.

Nahida: What a fantastic night. I'm still immersed in all the happiness and joy, like a candle floating on water.

Paimon: So are we, and that's why we're here to talk with you!

Nahida: Is there anything you want to know?

Patrick: Yes there is. While Thaler of our group knows. There is still the other half that does not know.

Aether: About the Akasha...

Nahida: After recent events, the Akasha can no longer function as it used to. I've given it some thought, and have decided to shut it down permanently. But this is definitely not a bad thing. Even from the beginning, I've been planning to shut it down. The Akasha's centralized administration of knowledge has always restrained people's curiosity and curtailed the number of paths available to them. I don't think this is good for Sumeru. Although people may initially feel a little uncomfortable with the loss of the Akasha, they will soon understand that this life is more suitable for them. And as for the future of Sumeru... I'm preparing to regain control of the Akademiya. The former sages have received their punishment, but the new sages have yet to be selected. I will oversee the process personally.

Vert: As for Azur. Patrick and I executed him.

(Flashback)

Patrick and Vert were with Cyno in a room where Azur was chained up while Patrick held his sword and Vert held her spear instead of her Rapiar.

Vert: Because of everything you've done to Nahida. You are to be sentenced to be executed.

Cyno: I have allowed Patrick and Vert to do the honors of executing you. I would do it but they insisted on being the ones to do it.

Patrick: Don't think you can earn anyone's forgiveness now, Azar! For 500 years you and the sages have made Nahida and everyone's lives in Sumeru a misery! I hope we never see you ever again!

At that moment, Patrick and Vert stabbed their weapons right through Azar's heart all the way through then through his head as blood spilled.

(Flashback end)

Patrick: We're finally rid of Azur for good this time. Vert and I stabbed him through the heart then the head. As far as I'm concerned we're never gonna see him again.

Vert: Azur deserved to die for everything he's done. He and the old sages refused to let go of the past and refused to accept change. He and all the previous Grand Sages have made Nahida's life a misery and Il Dottore made her misery even worse. But all that is finally over thanks to us.

Nahida: I hope that the new Six Great Sages will be more focused on academics. Sumeru needs such leaders more than ever.

Vert: And they better not be like the previous Sages who did bad things to the people of Sumeru and to Nahida.

Nahida: The other big issue is the people of King Deshret — all the residents of the desert, in fact. They have been mistreated for far too long. I've already taken some measures to address this. It will take some time to rebuild everything, but no matter if it's culture, friendship, or trust... we will rebuild it.

Aether: About what happened after I fell asleep that day...

Nahida: You mean, what happened after The Doctor put you to sleep?