Chapter 57: Delusions and return of Scaramouche

(Ancient ruins)

Paimon: This should be the place. But Sangonomiya was right, it doesn't look like anything suspicious is going on... Could they be hiding? Guys, let's see what we can find. These Electro Monuments look a little suspicious...

Sakura: Perhaps we should activate them.

Mei, Aether, and Theresa light the three Electro Monuments. But then a huge lawchurl appears.

Paimon: Yikes! A huge lawachurl! Was it drawn out by the Electro energy?

Durandal: It looks like it!

Durandal fights it and beats it.

Paimon: Phew... glad that's over.

Durandal: That was unexpected.

Paimon: As monsters go, that one was pretty tough. But what's such a huge Thunderhelm Lawachurl doing here in the first place?

Kallen: And how did it get here?

Paimon: It doesn't make any sense... Also, the atmosphere here gives Paimon the creeps.

Sakura: Why is that?

Paimon: Paimon doesn't know. Anyway, the good thing is that it's over now. We should probably get going... Huh, Teppei? What are you doing here?

Teppei appears out of nowhere but something was different about him. His hair was white.

Teppei: *cough* ...Wow, this is a surprise. Didn't know you were the ones investigating here.

Kallen: What exactly were you doing?

Teppei: I just got back from delivering some supplies to the front line. I figured I'd stop by and clear any threats in this area on the way back. *cough*...

Paimon: Are you alright there buddy? You're looking slightly the worse for wear.

Patrick: And your hair is white.

Teppei: I'm fine, it's nothing. I must've caught a cold a couple days ago while I was out at sea. On my way past, I heard that someone had just arrived on the island to investigate, so I thought I'd come and take a look.

Kiana: Well it's all clear here. Nothing out here to worry about. Except for that large lawchurl we just killed.

Teppei: If there'd been some real danger, I might've had the chance to be the hero... Heh, shame it was just you guys. Guess I came here for nothing.

Paimon: Teppei, don't you think there's something strange about this place?

Teppei: Hmm... now that you mention it, there is something a little off about it. It could be that the Tatarigami is more palpable here, I guess. We're not that far away from Orobaxi's remains.

Paimon: Orobaxi? Who's that?

Teppei: A god.

Sakura: You mean the giant snake god?

Teppei: Yes, that's the one. Look, there's the corpse over there.

Paimon: Aah! It's a gigantic snake skeleton. It looks terrifying!

Patrick: Kiana and I visited the giant skeleton.

Kiana: It was giant.

Teppei: Orobaxi was the one who brought our ancestors from Enkanomiya up to the surface. That's the origin of the Watatsumi Island you know today. Our ancestors regarded it as a guardian deity, but during the Archon War, Orobaxi invaded Yashiori Island.