Chapter 5

Hayden

At the night of the engagement, Arnaldo flirted with nearly every women, almost as if he forgot that he was going to be engaged. He had his dirty hands on them, touching their asses then kissing their hands. I rolled my eyes at his perverted actions and walked away from the crowd. The mansion was quiet since everyone was outside. I headed upstairs to the washroom before returning to the main ground.

"Clara," A voice shouted with frustration. I stopped, turning around while disconnecting the buttons on my shirt sleeves. An elderly woman pounded against the bathroom door. "Open the door."

It took a few seconds before the door pulled open. As someone stepped out, I instantly remembered her from the ball event.

Her brown hair fell into loose waves, completely casual and unfixed compared to the other night. A white dress tightened perfectly around her figure, the perfect curves at right places. Her face was partly covered in makeup, and long dark lashes protruded out of her eyes. Just like that night, she still didn't have a smile on her face.

"I'm not going out there," she argued, tears falling from her crystal blue eyes. She was fighting from the woman, who I assumed was her mother.

"Don't be silly. Prince Arnaldo is preparing his speech already. We have to head out for his proposal to you."

My eyes blinked repetitively as those words tumbled out. A cold scoff escaped my lips. This was the woman that Arnaldo wanted to have revenge from, and it couldn't be any more coincidental.

"Mother," she was almost on her knees to beg for mercy. "I don't want to marry him. He isn't that the one I love."

"I don't care. This is a lifetime chance for you to marry. He is not only successful and wealthy, but he will help your father's business."

"I'll marry anyone else."

"Clara," her mother's tone suddenly turned gentle. She embraced her daughter as she hid that little ruthless smile I spotted on her face. "Your father still owns the debt from expanding his business. If you marry Prince Arnaldo, you can save our family from being look down at. He needs you to help him, and I promise that home is always open for you to come back."

"I thought he paid that debt off for a while now?" The daughter pulled away and looked at her mother so innocently. God, she was so fucking naïve to even think her mother was saying the truth.

"This marriage will bring more business to him. If you agree, then he will have more opportunities and help our family from owning money. I know you think I could be lying, but it's true. He paid a lot of money for you to stand out at the ball even if he can't afford it. We love you, Clara. We want the best for you especially in the future."

I scoffed and turned away as I shook my head. It was like watching a full circus that was played by the mother to convince what a hero her daughter would be. Everything was a fucking manipulation. Arnaldo wasn't the type of man they both expected. Once he had her in his hands, she would be the last one out, living in despair and hatred.

I could see it in her blue eyes. They were bright like crystals, drawing every part of my damn attention to just watch them flood with fear and reluctance. It was enough to differentiate her and other women. She wanted freedom, not prosperity.

She was a lamb being captured by wolves, and the only choices she had left was to comply or to be killed.

When I wandered out, everyone was already gathering around to the center of the yard. I grabbed a glass of champagne and took a sip while watching the bastard did his show. Clara stepped into his arms, and Arnaldo had his disgusting hand trailing down to her ass. I lifted the glass cup and shifted straight to where both of them where. Everything behind the cup turned small, only she reflected differently.