Chapter 43

Hayden

My parents came over to dinner for the night, and my father brought wine from his friend who had business in the winery industry. He sent it to Maisie and me for a wedding present, and it was a strong grape taste fresh from France.

"Maisie, is the food not good for you?" My mother asked Maisie, looking over at us. I glanced over at Maisie to see that she barely touched her food.

"I'm not sure," Maisie answered. "I don't feel hungry lately. It's been like this for several days now. I'm only craving desserts."

"Really? Is that all you feel?"

"I feel nauseous, but I'm not sure if it's a symptom."

My mother and father exchanged glances, and my jaw clenched as I read their reaction. It was fucking clear that they knew what was happening. With the symptoms, even I knew that they were thinking that she was pregnant.

"I think you're pregnant, Maisie," my mother remarked. She could barely hide her face of joy when she said it. She was crazy for a fucking grandchild and kept pushing me for one.

"What?" Maisie smiled widely. "I-I don't think so."

I breathed heavily as I could feel my bones aching. We only fucked once, and it was fucking impossible for her to be pregnant already. I didn't even touch her for the past month. I turned to look at Clara who had her head kept down. The thoughts that were going through her head right now was fucking killing me. She had to trust me.

"We have to call in Dr. Hill now," my mother ordered.

When Dr. Hill came, we waited outside the room. I kept my eyes glued to Clara who did not look at me once after what my mother said. I fucking told her I wanted no kids, and Maisie was pregnant, Clara was going to fucking hate me for the rest of my life.

Fuck.

The nurse opened the door for us, and my mother pushed me inside. I stood beside Maisie, watching as Dr. Hill wrote down notes.

"Congratulations to Hayden and Maisie," Dr. Hill declared. "Maisie is indeed five weeks pregnant."

Fuck no.

My lungs were fucking burning from the air as I breathed. My mother kept giving Maisie orders, and she kept talking about the future. All their voices buzzed out of my ears, and I only heard my heart pounding loudly through my chest.

"Maisie, I'm so happy for both of you," my mother said happily. "It's only been nearly two months, and you and Hayden are already welcoming the first Winston child. It'll be the heir to Nascadia."

"Thank you, mother," Maisie replied. Her cold hand took mine, and she pulled me down to sit beside her. I had no fucking clue what I was going to do. "I'm glad Hayden and me are having our own little baby. I've been waiting for this day to come for a while. I don't even know how to keep my happiness down."

"You're going to be a great mother, Maisie," my mother seated down. She placed her hand on top of ours and patted. "Remember to be careful. If you need anything, I want you to tell the maids and servants. They're here for you."

"I will."

I heard someone leaving the room, and I instantly looked over to see Clara disappearing outside. I pulled my hand from Maisie, running out as they called after me. My hand caught the back of Clara's forearm, and she made no attempts to pull away.

"It was only that night," I breathed, my throat clenching tighter as I spoke. "I swear."

She was silent, so fucking silent that I felt terrified. She used to wait for me to explain, and she would believe me, but the distance was growing.