Chapter 41

Clara

The entire time for breakfast, my mother-in-law kept her focus on Maisie. Maisie had the dark smile curved on her lips when they talked while Hayden and I continued to ignore each other. I pushed my chair over to sit closer to Josephine who tried to lighten my mood with her conversations.

After all the pain, it made me too numb to feel anything more. I felt tired to keep up with the drama, and I had thought about leaving to find the simple life that would keep me in peace. Even if it hurts to leave someone you love, maybe it should be the best decision.

"I'm expecting a grandson soon," my mother-in-law smiled, looking over at Maisie and him. It was obvious that she adored Maisie since the first day. I was barely an exception.

"We've just started our marriage," Maisie laughed, her cheeks turning red. She glanced over at him with full admiration in her green eyes. "I do hope that I can have children with Hayden soon. I can just imagine how beautiful they would be."

My heart clenched as I thought back to last night. The memories of them in front of his bedroom as they made out, his hands over her body. It was like a knife stabbing into my heart again, and it was stuck until someone came to pull it out.

"Of course, they would be," my mother-in-law agreed, happiness across her face. "Have you thought about how many children both of you want?"

"I was thinking about four or five," Maisie giggled happily. "What do you think Hayden?"

I didn't hear him answer Maisie, but I was already distracted by the reflux that was coming from the back of my throat. I covered my mouth and tried to push it back. For the past few weeks, I had been nauseous and sick, but I didn't have a fever or cold. I had cramps from my stomach, and I nearly panicked when I saw blood yesterday when I went to the bathroom. I thought it would be my period, but it was gone today.

"Are you okay, Clara?" Josephine was the first to notice me. She turned her body over to look at me, putting the back of her hand to my forehead. "You don't look fine."

"I don't know. I've been feeling sick for the past few weeks," I whispered.

"Do you want a doctor?"

"No, I'm fine. It's just overwhelming for me for the past few weeks. Maybe I'm getting a sick soon but not yet. I'll be careful from now on."

With all the symptoms, it was impossible to not have any suspicions. The only thing I still had to do was take a test to answer my thoughts. I stared down at my stomach, and I placed my hand over it. If I was pregnant, I didn't know what I could do. The baby would come at the wrong time, and I didn't want people to sympathize me because I had a child.

Yes, I wanted to be a mother. It had been a dream that I wanted, and I said that I would regret if I was childless, but I didn't want this baby to suffer with me. I could barely survive in this place. What would happen to this small life?

When breakfast was over, Maisie went to leave a few words with her parents. Her parents had to leave to Verdeniao since they had found someone for Arnaldo. I didn't care about them anymore. I wanted to be back at Imperos palace and stay away from the environment.

We returned back to the palace, and I was the first to walk inside, leaving Hayden behind with Maisie. The servants came out to grab her suitcases, and I walked upstairs to the new room that I moved into. I stopped at my steps when I saw the servants moving Maisie's items into another bedroom that was not the master's bedroom.

"Queen Clara?" Violet came by with towels in her hands. "Is everything okay?"

"Why are the servants moving Maisie's items in the other room? Is she not sleeping in the master's bedroom?" I asked curiously.