Chapter 17

Hayden

"Hayden, I'm always here to talk," her voice was soft as ever.

I didn't answer her as we stayed where we were. She didn't press on, and I fought the urge to grab her warm hands. My whole body was cold, the same emotion that grew out of me when I heard Aunt Lottie died. Instead, Clara enclosed me in her warmth this time and stopped me from being repulsive.

"I will never fucking forgive him for what he has done," I told her bitterly. "Aunt Lottie died because of him. He killed her."

I went on to tell Clara about Aunt Lottie, and her arms wrapped around me tighter with each statement. I didn't want her to pity me, but I was lured into her presence, feeding on her assurance to stay with me. It felt wrong for me to be attached. I didn't want to be near anyone that could control me.

"You care a lot for Aunt Lottie, don't you?" She asked softly.

"She spent a lot of time with me. She taught me everything to be a better man than George was. When my cousins picked fights with me, she would protect me, but I couldn't protect her when she needed someone," I answered, the guilt eating me alive at the chest.

"It's not your fault. It had never been your fault. She's watching over you right now, and I bet she would have been happy to see that you're a good man. A true man who would never do what George did to her."

I turned to face Clara, and she released me from her hold. My eyes observed over her innocent face, and her blue eyes, like ocean waves, sucked me in when we matched sight. She reached in to hold my jaw, her warm hands calming my nerves.

"Thank you," she held that breathtaking smile. "You told me that you're not a superhero, but the Gods sent you to my life for a reason. You protected history from repeating on me. You're not a hero. You're my special guardian, but I don't ever want you to use violence to solve all your problems."

"I do what I have to do," I muttered.

"Can you just try then?"

"No."

A beautiful small laugh escaped her lips. Just by the sound of her voice, my greed was driven for a satisfaction, and I claimed her mouth again, finding her soft strands that my fingers knotted through. Her lips were so fucking provocative even if she never found the intention. The taste of her washed out every last frustration that I had, and it was the only relief that would work. The relief that would shut down my anger.

As soon as I stepped back, she tried to regain her steady breaths. Her gaze then dropped to my hand, and she held it in hers, rubbing her thumb gently over the bruised area.

"Let me help you with this," she offered.

She didn't wait for my reply and pulled me away. Her fingers continued to grasp mine loosely. I stared down at our hands then returned my eyes to her back. The corner of my lips twitched at the perfect sight of her.

* * *

"Do you always punch things when you're mad?" Clara was holding in her smile as she gently rubbed the alcohol over the spot. I shoved back the stinging pain.

She noticed my reaction and blew over the injured area. The cold wind eased over the burn, and I found my focus on her again as she cleansed the wound again

"Is there a problem with that?" I questioned back, monotoned.

"I don't want you to get injured all the time. It's not a healthy coping mechanism."

"What?" I furrowed my brows. She was starting to trail back on my nerves, and I was fucking praying that she finished as fast as she could.

"Simply if you like to punch, I think boxing is a good method to relieve your anger. At least, you would be well protected with gears. Your bones are not steel, Hayden."