Chapter 94

Clara

It was the day of the engagement party for Josephine and Abbas. The guests were crowding outside, having wine and food as they celebrated. Men dressed in their most expensive suits, their silver watches reflecting against the lights. Women wore designer dresses, matched with diamond earrings and necklace.

Most people worked for the Nascadian government. Others were relatives. All of them had status and wealth to be selected for the occasion.

I was with Josephine in her room, helping her with her makeup. She sat still in front of the mirror as she waited patiently for me to finish. Dabbing the brush on the makeup palette, I applied the pink blush over her soft cheeks. Her white skin showed a faint redness.

She was wearing a pink dress with long sleeves flaring at her wrists. Thin lace layered at the skirt. A waist band was wrapped around her. White ankle heels extended her height a little over mine. It was like she never aged once since I met her.

"You look so beautiful, Josephine," I complimented and stood behind her. My eyes admired the light makeup over her face. Her siblings and her were blessed by genetics. She was naturally beautiful already, and the little enhancement only made her features more brighter to the eyes.

"Thank you for helping me, Clara," she grasped my hand, squeezing it lightly. "I don't know what else to say."

"Of course. Today is your engagement party, and I should be here for you. We're a family, and I remember when you were always there for me. I want to do the same."

"Were you this nervous when you had your engagement party?"

"Mine was very sudden," I laughed, trying to loosening the nerves that I identified on her expression. "Everything happened in a month, and I don't think nervous was the correct word to describe it. It was more overwhelming for me."

She nodded in agreement, dipping her head low. I sat down on the edge of her bed, and she lifted her head back up again.

"Seeing Hayden and you now makes me realize that marriage is worth all the craziness," she commented. "I want to have the same blissful life as you do."

"You will," I assured Josephine and held her hands tightly. "Abbas will be a great husband. He's someone that you truly love from the start, and it's only going to make the relationship more special. He's going to spoil you so much with his love."

"I'm very lucky, Clara. It's a blessing to receive luck from a happily married woman."

"Is that a Nascadian tradition too? I've never heard of that one before."

"No," she shook her head. "Mother told me it was a good thing though."

I hugged Josephine tightly and placed her hand over my protruding stomach, my hand on top. She rested her head down on my shoulder as I whispered quietly.

"Your nephew wishes his aunt great luck too," I said softly. "Damien wants the best for you."

Josephine giggled. She bent down, leveling her face to my stomach as she smiled. "Thank you, Damien. Auntie Josephine can't wait until you come."

My mother-in-law came in to check on Josephine. I left them alone and headed out to find Hayden and Xander. The guests were already seated at their tables, showing that the party was about to begin soon. I went to the host table where everyone else was.

I sat down, leaning back on the chair as my hand stroke down my swollen stomach. I watched the rest of the family drink fresh red alcohol, and my eyes locked on the carbonated soda that Hayden ordered for me.