Chapter 84

Clara

I ordered the maids and servants to leave Rosie and me alone in the living room, and I returned with a warm cup of tea for her. She thanked me, her lips forcing a faint smile. I distracted Xander with his favourite cartoon show, and he sat on the other coach, his blue eyes staring over at the screen.

"Why didn't you tell me about Ivor?" I asked Rosie. "I thought we're best friends."

She sighed heavily then laughed coldly. "We were never together because I know how huge our distance will always be. He has responsibilities, Clara. You know what background Hayden and him comes from. Their name is everything in the family."

My chest tightened when I saw her glossy eyes. Rosie had been a tougher woman compared to me, but even if she appeared unaffected, love was a different story that changed everyone. The pain was twice as much than the sweetness.

"Don't give up on him," I whispered, taking her hand and squeezing it gently. "If you love him, there's no reason for anyone to break both of you apart."

"Love," she mumbled, shaking her head. "I'm not as persistent as you. You're willing to sacrifice so much for Hayden, but I don't want to be trapped in this mess with Ivor. He can take his responsibilities while I have my own life. If we survived without each other before, we can do it again right now. We don't have anything to hold onto."

A frown set upon my lips once I heard her words. Rosie was determined in cutting her ties with Ivor even if it was her last decision. My heart throbbed as I thought about doing the same for Hayden. I admitted that I was a selfish lover to begin with and had no courage to even leave the person I love the most.

"You know the truth, Clara," Rosie pointed out, her voice falling in a low murmur as she stared down at our hands. "Hayden is a member of the royal family. At one point, he still had to put his family first. He can do whatever he wants, but the reputation and name are huge in their value. They're not ordinary people."

I remained silent. The truth was like a blade, slicing right at my chest, and no matter how I tried to avoid the fact, it constantly ran in a circle and glued to my brain.

Hayden had his ways to be with me, but he still had traditions he could never control. He had the success and status, but his family name carried too much responsibilities. His grandfather was the man who ruled the entire family, and Hayden only lost control to him.

"I know," I whispered, hot tears escaping my eyes. The pain still lingered at my chest when I realized how terrible the family was. "It's not as happy as everyone thinks."

She raised her head, having a cold, knowing smile on her lips. I pulled her into a hug as I rubbed her back, trying my best to comfort Rosie. She settled her chin down on my shoulder then let out a shaky breath. Her muscles tensed, like solid rock when she was in my arms.

"Queen Clara," Violet rushed inside. Her face was in full concern as she tried to catch her breath. "You need to see the news right now."

I instantly changed the channel and allowed Xander to sit down my thighs. The screen was showing the back entrance of Bruchester Palace, and I saw microphones sticking out with the back of the journalists' heads showing. Uneasiness weaved inside me when the podium was set up at front of the door.

My father-in-law stepped in after a few minutes. He was joined by my mother-in-law, and they were both dressed formally for the occasion. He held the sides of the podium, having a faint smile across his lips. Rosie and I were staring at the screen to wait for him to speak.

"Thank you everyone for coming to this press conference," my father-in-law calmed the crowd down. The camera continued to flash at him. "For the past few months, our family has been through quite a lot both personally and publicly. Emma and I are very pleased to have Clara with our family again. Of course, Clara and Hayden are very happy together and are expecting a second child on the way."