Chapter 21

Clara

I changed into a plaid grey pants that were high-waisted with a perfectly knotted bow at the centre. My white t-shirt tucked underneath, and the short sleeves were rolled.

I stood in front of the mirror as my hand went over my red cheek. The colour was starting to fade, but it was an evident spot from the rest of my light skin. It almost seemed like I purposely had put extra blush on one side.

I went over to see Isabella who took the guest room that was at the end of the hallway. She was dressed in a new set of clothes, but her arms still had dark bruises and red marks. My heart tore at the sight, frustrated even from how Gale treated her. She deserved to be with a proper man who would give her the world.

"Isabella," I called, sitting beside her on the mattress. I took her hand in mine to reassure that she was safe here in the palace. I could feel the coldness that radiated from her skin, and her body still trembled at the terrible nightmares. "If you need anything else, let me know."

"Thank you, Clara," she pushed a small smile, doing a small nod. "If you didn't come to save me, Gale would have hurt me again," her voice broke, and I wrapped my arm over her shoulders to pull her into a tight, close embrace.

"How could he do that to you? You should have called the police for his crimes."

She shook her head, her lips falling to a frown. "You know the answer to it. This is Nascadia. If I could, I would have done it years ago."

"That doesn't mean you should do whatever he tells you. In Nascadia, abuse is a crime. Being in a marriage doesn't mean you can be abused. He doesn't have control over you."

It's true that in Nascadia, women had their roles restricted once they were married, but we weren't punching bags for men to use. They didn't have the right to throw their anger at us, kick our bodies, and control our minds. None of those were ever part of the marriage.

"I didn't have a choice," she whispered, the tears rimming her brown eyes. "He threatened to kill my family if I didn't obey him. My father might have pushed me into his arms, but it doesn't mean I should risk their lives. They're still my family."

"He's not going to escape," I stated, my voice displaying a hint of anger. "When the police catch him, he will be in prison for eternity. You can divorce with him."

"I can't divorce with him unless he allows it. He will never accept the divorce."

"Isabella," I rested the side of my head against hers. She deserved the entire world, and I wish her parents would take her back. She needed her own family to be beside her.

"Don't worry about me," she patted the back of my head then parted away. She squeezed my hand, her gesture warming my heart. "I'm already happy that I'm free from him. I don't have to deal with him."

"You can stay here as long as you want. If you need therapy, I can call one in for you."

She let out a true smile this time, the tears rimming her eyes. "I don't want to bother you and Hayden with my problems."

"It's never a bother for us," I explained. "We have so many rooms here. We should have at least some of them filled with guests."

Isabella had always been a strong woman, and she never wanted to bother anyone with her dark marriage, but I heard how many women were suffering without the right support. Many of them chose to keep their problems to themselves that it became too much to bare, and I didn't want Isabella to be alone in this.

"Hayden is perfect for you," she told me quietly. "I think you finally found the man you desired all along."

"What do you mean?" I questioned, tilting my head, confused with what she was trying to say.