Chapter 129

Clara

Sometimes, I found myself staring at the ceiling at night when everyone else was asleep. I buried close to Hayden, feeling his warmth around me, but I still felt a void in my chest as I brushed my hand down to my stomach.

I slowly sat up and stared back at Hayden. He had been taking care of me for the past week, completely worn out from work and family. He cut back on his duties, but I knew how much sleep he had. He would have those nights that terrified him too.

I pulled the duvet over him then slipping out of bed, heading downstairs. I sat on the couch, bringing my knees to my chest as I curled up alone. The silence weaved into my ears, feeding onto my vulnerability as I suppressed my tears. I spent a lot of time, trying to fix myself from being broken. I distracted my mind with everything.

I was numb enough to forget, but once the drug was gone, the darkness ate me alive again, taking me back to where I left my soul. They said that time healed, but how long did it take to fully feel normal again?

I suddenly felt a warm blanket wrapped around me. Raising my head, I looked up and saw Hayden standing there, his lips thinning. He sat down beside me, not saying a word as he brought me to his chest. I rested my head down on his shoulder and kept silent.

I woke up to the sun shining directly on my face. My eyes fluttered open, and I turned around, fitting my head perfectly into the crook of Hayden's neck. We were crowded on the couch, barely enough space for both of us. We could have the largest bed space, but I was the warmest in his arms, in a tight area with only us.

I took in his strong masculine scent, fresh of natural lavender from the detergent. I wrapped my blanket around us, even if it was barely enough. His long legs stuck out at the end, and I broke out a small smile on my lips.

I heard a groan, and when I lifted my head to see Hayden awake, I nuzzled closer to him. He stroked the back of my head, running his fingers through my strands gently.

"Good morning," I whispered and fumbled with his collar.

"My back fucking hurts," he complained. "We need a new couch."

He was half tilted, letting me take most of the space. I was a smaller frame compared to him, and I didn't need to be squished into one piece. Hayden already had to bend his legs from not hanging out of the couch.

"You're old," I teased, tapping the tip of his nose. "Old people have back pains."

"I'm not that much older than you," he stated, tightening his arm around me.

I instantly sat up to relieve him from the tight space. He wrapped his arms around me, resting his head against mine. I settled back on his chest, taking in the warmness. I could never be more grateful to have him beside me at the time. I knew that if I needed someone to rely on, he would be the first.

"Thank you," I told him. "Thank you for being here with me."

He only nodded, wrapping me tighter this time. I went to make breakfast for Hayden and our kids after getting ready for the morning. I told him that I would be okay, hoping that he could pick up with his workload again soon. He only agreed when I promised that I assured him that I would take care of myself.

I secluded from attending any events or visiting my relatives. It was a period for me to bring my mind back to reality until I could face them. I pressured grew at my chest each time I saw them, and I didn't want to disappoint anyone.

* * *

Near the end of the month, I managed to take the courage to see my in-laws for dinner at our home. Hayden declined at first, but I pleaded until he gave in. I knew he wanted to protect me from the social pressure except I was truly ready to have face everyone again.