Chapter 136

Hayden

Clara stepped into the living room, and she held the sides of her ball gown as she walked down the stairs. Her head dipped down, her brown hair loose in curls. The way she looked in the floral gown was enough to remind me that she was my fucking angel. She had the flower crown over her head. Everything about Clara had me stunned, and she made me fell in love with her all over again.

"You're so beautiful, Clara," my mother praised. Clara came over to grasp her hands, and she smiled widely.

"Thank you, mother," Clara answered appreciatively. "I think Hayden has a great taste in picking dresses." She glanced over at me with an approval gaze.

She came to twirl in front of me, dipping her head down with smile. My lips twitched, and she only made me sure that she was the only one that I would ever love. No one else could replace Clara.

"What do you think?" She winded her arms around my neck.

"My fucking angel," I pushed some of her hair back and rested my hands over her waist.

She laughed and kissed my lips briefly. "I love you so much. Thank you for picking my gown. You always pick the best outfits for me."

I parked my Aston Martin over to the side of the road when we arrived. I opened the door for Clara, and she interlaced hands with me, walking slowly as she held her dress. The tabloids flashed their cameras at us, and we stood in front of the camera, allowing them for photos.

"King Hayden, Queen Clara," the tabloids shouted. "Both of you look great tonight for the annual ball. Are you competing for the best couple award again?"

"Thank you for the flattery everyone," Clara said appreciatively. She was getting so damn good at dealing with the paparazzis now. "Hayden and I are glad to join the annual ball again this year. It's been our pleasure."

We turned around to head inside, but we stopped as soon as we heard another car rolling to a stop. The tabloids ran straight to the limousine. Stepping out was Maurice, and I expected he would bring someone else with him since he was linked to Bertha's best friend, but my sister followed after him, her hand in his.

"Their relationship is getting more complex than I think," Clara stated. She was often into the media more than I was, and it was no surprise that she read headlines of Maurice and Bertha.

I didn't say a word, and we walked down the stairs to see Maurice and Bertha. The cameras started flashing more once we were face to face. My eyes drew over to Bertha who didn't show a hint of emotion through her posture.

"Prince Maurice, rumours had it that you are having an affair with Princess Bertha's best friend. Is it true?"

"Princess Bertha, are you here to clear Prince Maurice's rumour?"

Maurice settled a cold smile across his lips. He pulled Bertha closer to his side, like he wanted to make himself clear about their situation. The darkened eyes glanced over at his wife. She remained quiet without a word, which was more fucking abnormal than her talkative nature.

"Thank you everyone for your concern," Maurice responded. "As many of you stated, the rumours are just rumours. Bertha and I are here tonight to make it clear that both of us are more than happy in our marriage. Any of those rumours are denied."

The crowd erupted with surprise. Maurice had never once denied any shit for all the times he had married my sister. I was going fucking crazy about how he suddenly switched. It was like someone possessed him.

"Is that right, amore mio?" He asked Bertha.

She pursed her lips, pausing for a moment. I noticed her fingers clenching tightly around her clutch. She let out a deep breath then spoke.