Chapter 53

Clara

Three years later

"I caught you," I beamed, wrapping my arms tightly around Xander as he laughed.

His eyes turned into crescent shapes, the blue colour brightening under the sunlight. He wrapped his arms around my neck, and I carried him out of the garden. The basket hanged from my forearm, and it was full of herbs and vegetables that Zelia needed.

"Mummy," Xander called, his English accent thick from his voice.

"Yes?" I questioned.

"What fruit do you like?"

"Mangoes."

"Who do you like the most?"

"That's a hard question," I pretended that it was difficult to answer before humming as I pondered for a bit. "I think it has to Xander Moreau."

He laughed again and clapped his hands. My heart instantly warmed at the adorable laughter that he had. "My favourite person is Mummy." He exclaimed, his voice smooth and sweet.

I smiled, kissing his cheeks as he pecked me on the lips. I walked out of the dirt and placed him down on the grass. His small hands touched the glass door. He tried to push it open, but I gave him a little help before it slid to the side. I placed the basket on the counter as Xander called out for Zelia.

For three years, I finally settled down into a life that was enough for Xander and me. Isabella and Zelia were our family. Ever since that day, Hayden never came back to Tarrin again. I thought that he would come back, but he did kept his promise, leaving me alone for three years.

I didn't know if time did heal wounds, but I did enjoy the normal town life. I had been comfortable with staying home and working in a bakery. I would watch Xander grow up into a bright and intelligent child. It was obvious he inherited his intelligence from his dad because by eighteen months, he understood what I said very clearly.

I still kept updated with the news. I read from social media and watched television to see all the changes he made. He changed many traditions laws into new ones. Men and women were now in monogamous relationships, including the ones in the royal family. Of course, many men disapproved the idea, but they still had to follow through it. Women seemed to settle down in a better life now that their husbands couldn't marry another person.

Divorce was easier to grant. As long as a woman felt unhappy in the relationship, she could file a divorce, and after two years, the marriage was over even if the man disapproved.

It was nothing to prevent adultery though if people wanted to do it, but it was a step of equality between men and women. As the years passed, the law seemed to prevent many heartbreaks, and less marital problems arose unless it was a difficult divorce.

"Zelia," Xander interrupted my thoughts. "Look at how many potatoes I picked."

"Good job, sweetheart," Zelia beamed, patting his head.

Zelia started cutting the potatoes that Xander handed over to her. I took him to the bathroom afterwards, putting him in a small bath to clean out the dirt that he had. He was sitting in the bathtub as I washed his hair. He was singing a random melody to me too.

When I first took care of him, it was hard for me to handle the new tasks as an inexperienced mother. I was thankful that Zelia taught me the correct ways to not hurt Xander as a baby. Through the lack of sleep and frustrations, I managed to become a proper mother to my son. The experiences were hard, but it made me value my time with him more.

I had the chance to witness Xander's first steps and words. He was a cute little boy who was curious of everything like me. As he grew up, it was obvious that he was a close copy of me. He inherited the blue eyes and other distinct facial features, but his hair colour remained to close to his father.