Chapter 89

Clara

The warm sun heated my body as I sat on the sides of my thighs. The picnic blanket was underneath me, and Hayden placed out all the food. He didn't allowed me to touch a single thing since I was pregnant. I relaxed back and watched him.

"I'm planning to do a little gender reveal party for our son," I told him, stroking my stomach. I was already five months into my second pregnancy. "I think it would be great for our parents to participate since your mother has been asking me about it."

"So fucking annoying," Hayden groaned. "She already has a grandson. What more does she need from you?"

"She's just being curious, Hayden," I grasped his arm, my heart warming at how he was concerned about me. My mother-in-law was a different story, but I didn't mind.

"Tell her she is having a granddaughter. She will never bother you again."

I laughed, shaking my head at the truth. Even though Hayden and I had Xander, my mother-in-law wanted us to have another son. She said it would help Hayden to have a few successors, and as soon as my husband heard her say that, he was nearly kicking tables.

"Do you think we should do a football theme?" I asked, excited at how it would be cool for my first gender reveal party. "I wanted to do a royal theme, but it seemed too predictable."

"Just don't do any dangerous shit," he warned me.

I wrapped my arms around his neck from the side, kissing his cheek. "That means you agree with the football theme?"

He glanced over at me before doing a small nod. I smiled, brushing the tip of my nose to his cheek. His scent would naturally weaved into my nose, coating around me as a protective barrier. With him, it had always been safe.

We spent the rest of the afternoon, outside at the backyard as we had lunch. We had short conversations about his morning before nosing into some family business. My parents-in-law were planning to have the engagement party for Ivor and Runova soon.

"Wait, does that mean mother is technically helping Ivor propose by giving Runova the family engagement ring?" I asked, hoping for some clarification. My head nearly spun when I said the sentence.

Hayden nodded casually. "My great grandmother passed down the ring to my grandmother, then my grandmother gave the ring to my mother."

"That's very... complicated," I laughed, taking a bite of a strawberry. Hayden grabbed my wrist, moving the strawberry to his lips as he ate it. "I'm happy with the engagement ring that you gave me." I stared down at the diamond ring that flashed when the sun shined against it. The precious stone reflected like a rainbow.

"The traditional ring is more expensive, Clara."

"Well, different people have different expectations. That's how I fell in love with you."

"Is that an insult?" He seemed somewhat offended, quirking his brow. I let out a small laugh at his expression, shaking my head at his inner child side.

"No, Hayden," I assured. I sat closer to him, and he wrapped his arms around me, his hand over my protruding stomach. "The definition of different doesn't match you. It's more like perfection."

"You're perfection," he muttered, kissing my temple.

My heart swelled in my chest when I saw how he had a soft nature for me, especially how compliments escaped his lips unintentionally. I remembered that the first few months of pregnancy was about insecurities, but he assured me everything was fine. He stayed home with me, reduced the workload, and took care of my needs.