Chapter 13

Hayden

I pulled unbutton my shirt and threw it to the ground as the hot water was running. I was about to unbuckle my belt when the bathroom door swung open. I furrowed my brows and stared straight dead at Clara coming inside with her eyes fucking close.

What the hell was she on?

I made no sound, backing away to the shower then watching how she moved. She looked familiar with the space, touching and stepping at the right places for indication. She had white towels over her forearm, and I glanced over at the silver rack where no towels were hanged.

I stepped aside, the water sounds loud enough to hide my footsteps. Her back faced me as she slipped in the towel, and she then turned around with her eyes closed again.

She could trip in here without even knowing, but she still came with the towels. She pissed me off even more. Before she could make another move, I stood in front of her. Her hands moved around in the air until her palms landed straight on my chest, and my muscles clenched at her touch.

Her entire body stilled. Her mouth fell opened, a clear sign that she knew what she had done.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I snapped and gripped her wrists.

"Uh..." She hesitated, fumbling with the proper words to explain.

"Open your damn eyes."

Her eyes opened immediately in response. She looked only at my face, not dropping a single glance at other places. She wanted to pull her hands away, but I didn't move an inch for her.

She pursed her lips then lowered her voice. "Weren't you supposed to be showering?" The heat coloured her cheeks to crimson red, the look that intensified her innocence.

"I was about to get inside until I saw you coming inside with your damn eyes closed," my teeth scraped together as I spoke. "Are you trying to be a fucking zombie?"

"I just wanted to put in towels for you."

Her voice softened, and I released my grip from her wrists. I turned my head to one side, pointing straight at the door.

"Get out."

She exited the bathroom as fast as she could, closing the door behind. I shut my eyes and pinched my nose bridge. My mind was going to fucking explode, and I bet she did this purposely so she could stomp over my grave when I die the blood rush she caused each time we spoke.

* * *

At night, we sat in complete silence during dinner. None of us initiated any conversation, but it wasn't as if I fucking wanted to speak with her either. I finished dinner and left her alone as I went to my office. I worked looked at files and returned email until midnight came.

When I headed back upstairs, I saw Clara waiting at the front of the guest room that I slept in. She raised her head, her eyes brightening over at me. Her cheek flushed with crimson, a satin pink robe wrapping around her small body. I bit my tongue and drew my eyes elsewhere as I stepped to the bedroom.

"Can we talk?" She asked, coming to stop my path before I could continue. I inhaled a deep breath, tucking my hands into the pocket of my sweats.

She took my silence as a reply and continued. "Mother already had her suspicions today when one of the maids told her that you appeared out of the other room this morning."

"Which maid?" I muttered. I thought I made a clear warning about what they should say and what they should ignore.

"I'm not giving you a name because I know you will fire her after I tell you. I just saw her speaking with mother when I returned from the bathroom, and she had the guilty eyes as soon as I came back."