Chapter 88

Warning: This chapter contains 18+ scenes. 

Clara

By the end of the fourth month of my pregnancy, I went with Hayden to see Dr. Hill for the monthly checkup. I had to switch to maternity dresses now since my normal clothes were too tight on me, especially on my chest area. It only grabbed more attention from Hayden, and I rather not have my husband stare at my chest every five minutes.

"Why don't you head on the examination bed, Clara?" Dr. Hill beamed, nudging her head over at the direction. "Let's have a check on the baby and find out if it's a prince or princess."

I nodded excitingly and stood up to walk over to the bed. Hayden grasped my arm, and he led me to the bed. He carried me up onto the surface, and I smiled back at him before laying down. The nurses set up the ultrasound. One of them applied the gel to my stomach, and it cooled over my skin.

As soon as the machine turned on, I tightly interlaced hands with Hayden, glancing between him and the screen. The black and white image appeared when Dr. Hill placed the scanner over me, moving around as she explained. I smiled once I saw the familiar sight again. It had me emotional to know my baby was coming soon.

"I can see that the baby is very healthy," Dr. Hill told us. "That's great news. Are you both ready for the gender?"

"We've been waiting for a while now," I answered. "Hayden wants a princess."

Dr. Hill laughed, and she continued to move the scanner over my stomach. I felt Hayden tightened his grip over my hand. It was a sign of nerves even if he seemed tough on the outside. It was his first time to experience it after all.

When I did my scan for Xander, I only had Isabella and Zelia with me. They were my closest relatives, but at one point, I wanted to know what it was like to have my husband beside me as we waited for the news. It finally happened.

Hayden glued his eyes to the monitor. It was like he was trying to decipher a code, seeing if he could spot our baby. He seemed half confused, but I was drawn into his adorable reaction especially when he often had a straight and emotionless face.

Dr. Hill finished the ultrasound, and I pulled my maternity dress down then sat back up. She was writing notes on the clipboard, having the reassuring smile on her face. She glanced back up at us and held the pen in her hand.

"Congratulations, Clara and Hayden," she said. "Both of you are expecting another prince on the way. It's baby boy."

A laugh escaped from my lips as I covered my hand over my mouth. Turning my head to the side, I looked at Hayden whose lips thinned at the news. He ran his tongue across his lips, his expression hardening. It felt like he was going to breakdown, but he kept silent, holding in the urge to lash out his annoyance.

After the monthly checkup, Hayden drove us home to the palace. He was quiet the entire car ride, and I rubbed my hand over his cheek, comforting him.

"Two boys are great," I told him proudly. "You and the boys can play football, and they can learn archery from you. It's a perfect little family."

"Not great," he broke the silence. I laughed again and placed his hand over my stomach.

"I know you care about them. Even if you have a preference for daughters, I saw how you are with Xander. I catch you in his room. You take care of him so much, and the best things are always for him. I doubt you're upset with the news."

He went silent again.

He thought I didn't know about the truth, but I would wake up often when I had to head to the bathroom. I checked on him in his office, but I would find him in Xander's room. When I peeked at the doorway to look inside the room, Hayden would be pulling the blanket up and ensuring that our son was warm.