Chapter 46

Clara

Isabella drove us to a far town, miles away from the cities. I stared out at the window, seeing the trees starting to fill the roadsides more frequently. Acres of land were occupied with farmers and animals. It was different to see a switch of scenery, but the simplistic view seemed to soothe my emotions, easing into my mind.

Ever since Isabella divorced with Gale, she inherited half of his wealth as spousal support. The lawyers wanted her to take more, but she kindly rejected, and they only went with the one time payment. Isabella had never been a person who fed on greed. She only wanted her freedom like most women wanted from unhappy marriages.

After she had taken the support, she cut ties from her family because she felt uncomfortable around them. She was brave to start her own life, and she went elsewhere to find her happiness. I was happy that she found the ending that she deserved whereas I was still trying to search for mine.

Isabella pulled over in front of a house. We headed out of the car, and I looked around to see that it was a beautiful area that kept the architecture designs from past times. Stores and houses were only one small building with triangular roofs and several windows on the front exterior. The bright colours painted each small house.

The images suddenly blurred in my eyes, and I shook my head, trying to push the heaviness away from my brain. I could feel a sudden cramp in my stomach, and my fingers grasped the fabric of my blouse. Something wet trailed down my thighs as I started to feel my head spin.

"Clara," Isabella called out. "What's going on?"

Before I could answer, my vision turned black, and my body became light as I dropped in her arms.

* * *

My eyes fluttered open, and I found a white wooden ceiling above me. I was fixed on the street sounds that came across from me. People were talking and laughing, the sound of busyness that I craved of hearing when I was back at Imperos. I let out a deep breath and pushed my body from the mattress.

I stared around the homely room. A brick wall was situated on the opposite side with a small window opened. The bed was in the middle of the room, backing to a white surface of the wall. An air conditioner was above me, and to one side of the bed, it had a bathroom area. By the appearance of this room, the colours had calmed me, and the little sunlight warmed my skin.

The door swung open, and Isabella hurried inside as an old woman followed behind her. Her dark black hair was tied into a loose bun. She fitted a grey knitted cardigan over her white top, carrying a tray that had a bowl and glass of water in her hand. When she saw me, she smiled instantly.

Isabella came to sit on the bedside, taking me in her arms. The old woman sat down on a chair after she placed down the tray on the nightstand.

"You scared me, Clara," Isabella frowned, concern clear in her voice.

"I'm okay," I whispered and patted her hand.

Isabella helped me lean against the headboard, adding the pillows behind my back for support. I thanked her for the gesture, and she handed me a cup of warm tea. I tucked my fingers into the handle, letting the heat transfer over my skin.

"Clara, this is my godmother. Her name is Zelia," Isabella introduced.

I turned my head over to look at Zelia and smiled faintly. "It's lovely to meet you, Zelia."

"It's a pleasure to meet you too, Clara," she answered. Her voice was soft and motherly. It brought comfort to me.

My hand covered over my mouth when I felt the reflux coming from my throat. Isabella patted my back gently before it managed to relax down. I stared at them, and from their expression, I could tell that they knew.