Chapter 92

Warning: The following contains 18+ scenes.

Hayden

On the day of Clara's birthday, I ordered Violet to keep Clara distracted. Luckily, Clara had to deal with the engagement details for Josephine and Runova, and she had to remain in her office to work. I took Xander with me to help with the cake. It was fucking strange to initiate private time with my own son, but I knew Clara always wanted us to bond and improve our relationship.

"Where's Mummy?" Xander asked as I kicked the stool to the kitchen island. He was tall enough for a three year old, but the island was still towering over him.

"Office," I muttered.

I grabbed the ingredients and left them on the island. I followed the recipe book, collecting all the items for the cake. Xander was watching me as he cracked the eggs into the mixing bowl. When I returned beside him, my feet touched a slimy liquid, and I furrowed my brow, staring down at the fallen egg.

"Xander Winston," I gritted my teeth and snatched the egg shells from him. "Crack them into the bowl not the ground."

"It slide down," he whined, exactly like Clara.

I groaned and ripped some paper towels, throwing them to the ground as I wiped the mess. I should have fucking done it on my own, but I knew how much he loved his mum. He would want to make Clara happy as much as I did.

I tossed the papers in the trash then washed my hands. When I took the egg in my hands, I stood behind Xander and cracked it with him. He clapped his hand, the slimy egg white on his fingers splattering to my face. I was disgusted when I had a little taste of it, quickly wiping it away from my lips.

"Put mango inside," Xander took the whole mango, and I grabbed it away from him before he could touch it.

"No one eats mango with skin on it," I rolled my eyes.

We survived through the first part, but the island was covered with flour and powder. If Clara saw this, she would surely kill the fuck out of me for tearing her kitchen apart.

As the mixer thickened the batter, I worked on making the icing for the cake. It was so fucking complicated. It still tasted like shit after I tried twice.

"Daddy, finish," Xander pointed at the mixer machine. I went over and pressed the button. It had me a good damn five minutes to work out all the settings.

I poured the batter into the pan, and Xander scraped the remaining parts left. I pulled the oven open and shoved it inside. As the cake baked, Xander stood on his toes, peering his eyes to see through the glass. I pressed the light on then lifted him into my arms for him to have a better glance.

"I want to put lots of mangoes on for Mummy," Xander raised his arms, and I helped him rolled his sleeves back to his elbows.

I settled him down to the ground and finished with the icing the third time. I let out a heavy breath, my palms against the edge of the counter when I was done. I rather sit in my office for hours than to fucking bake.

"It smells bad, Daddy," Xander complained.

"Shit," I cussed under my breath and dashed to the oven.

I hissed when I tried to take the pan out. I grabbed a mitten glove then tossed the pan to the island. Xander stood on the stool then furrowed his brow. We stared at each other when once we saw the black cake. It sunk right at the middle, and the brunt smell was filling the room.

"Why is the cake like that?" He asked, tilting his head.

"Don't tell your mum," I ordered.

I tossed it in the trash, and we restarted again. I knew this shit would happen and bought enough ingredients for my mistakes. I was on the fucking verge to break if we didn't finish in time. The recipe book was getting a letter from my lawyers for screwing me over.