Chapter 32

Clara

I finished replying to all the emails before relaxing back onto my soft chair. After the palace had been renovated, my office had remained the same, and everything was the same design as it was. I had always adored the colour scheme, and I knew that Hayden did so much to create my special place for me.

If I was honest, I did feel hurt when he didn't answer me about the abortion question. I couldn't catch what he was thinking, and at that moment, I wish he could just tell me he would take responsibility. I didn't need him to say that he would be the perfect father to our child, but it was pointless to think about these things when I wasn't pregnant.

My eyes landed at the clock, and I saw how it was already pass midnight. I cleaned up my desk and headed upstairs. A glimpse of bright light caught my attention when I looked down the hallway. It came from Hayden's office, and I decided to head over to speak with him

When I pushed open the door, I saw his pens and files on the ground. Everything else on his desk was knocked over. My heart dropped at the sight, and I ran out to search around for him. I spoke with all the maids and servants, but no one saw him, and I started to panic.

It was late at night, and he had no guards with him. He could be in danger if someone wanted to attack him.

"Should I send out the team to look for King Hayden?" Thomas asked.

"Yes, I need them to be quick," I told Thomas. My heart was already racing as I tried to think of plans. "Don't make any disruptions that will cause suspicious. I don't want to press to know."

He nodded and went away. I named out all the places he could be, but I didn't want to head to my parents-in-law if Hayden wasn't there. My mother-in-law would freak out if she knew that her son was missing.

When I called Hayden, I was only treated by an automated voice message. It meant that he had his phone shut down, and it was harder for me to search. I bit the inside of my cheek, suppressing the unwanted tears in my eyes. If anything happened to him, I could never forgive myself about it.

I wiped my tears, and the first person I thought about was Ivor. I instantly called him, waiting impatiently for him to answer.

"Hello," Ivor greeted, his voice easily indicating that I had awaken him.

"Ivor," I whispered, not wanting to make him worried about me crying. "Have you seen Hayden?"

"Clara?" I could him hear getting up from his bed. "Is everything okay?"

"Hayden left home, and I'm worried about him. He turned off his phone, and I can't find him anywhere. We had an argument, and I thought that it would be over soon, but he just left."

"I called him earlier to discuss with him about something, but he never picked up either. I guess that's when he was out. It's been two hours already."

"Two hours?" I immediately felt sick at my stomach. He was gone for two hours, and I didn't notice. He left without a word, and he could have been kidnapped or attacked.

"Don't panic," Ivor assured after he heard I went silent. "I think I know where he is. Let me come get you, and we'll find him."

I disconnected the call and hurried out to wait for Ivor. He came within fifteen minutes, and I climbed into his car. I told Ivor about everything that happened, and he only shook his head at how Hayden was. I couldn't blame Hayden though because I didn't handle it properly like I expected.

We arrived at a pub, and I found Hayden as soon as he stepped out of the front door. I sighed in relief, unbuckling my seatbelt as I headed out to him. He had his back facing me, slouching down while he walked. The strong smell of alcohol weaved into my nose.