Chapter 73

Clara

Nearly two months had passed, and I was finishing the final details for the wedding for Josephine and Zykov. The wedding was next week, and I was in my office, checking the guest list once more before I sent them to the wedding planner.

"Mummy," Xander said as he ran into the room. He held a drawing and showed me his piece full of bright colours. I sat him down on my lap as we held it. "I made a drawing for Auntie Josephine. It's her wedding present."

"It's very beautiful," I praised, brushing the back of his head. "Auntie Josephine will love the present for her wedding. Are you hungry? Mummy will make lunch."

He nodded, and I shut down my desktop, taking Xander out of the room and walking downstairs. Hayden was meeting with his father and Ivor to discuss about alliance with Tuscea since King Valdemar was our in-law soon.

I kept Xander in the kitchen with me. He sat on one of the bar stools with the crayons on the kitchen island. He did another drawing again, while I started making sandwiches. I checked on him occasionally and smiled when he explained to me his piece.

Xander was turning four soon, and it meant that he would have to be away from me to be at school. Hayden and I discussed about the details, and the Royal Academy was where Xander had to attend because it was the pretentious place that was safe for him. It had the top education system with the best teachers.

It felt bittersweet to know that my son was becoming more responsible, but he was leaving me to find his independence. We had been with each other for three years, and I missed having him around.

The water was waiting to boil. I hopped onto the seat next to Xander, resting my head in my palm, my elbow on the surface.

"Xander," I called, and he stopped colouring for a second to look at me. I smiled, stroking the back of his head gently as I proceeded. "What do you think about going to school?"

"School?" He questioned, tilting head curiously like he was familiar with the term.

I hummed in response. "Remember when Mummy took you to pick up Auntie Isabella back in Tarrin? She's a teacher who teaches kids like you a lot of cool things. You can draw and learn math. You can make friends too."

"Really?"

His eyes lightened up at the idea, full of anticipation. Ever since Xander was born, he remained by my side, and I had never gotten a chance to send him to daycare. He didn't have the experience to meet other children yet, but school would be a great part for him to be social and make friends.

"Of course," I answered softly. "You will love it there."

"Is Mummy coming too?" He asked me, kicking his legs back and forth. It was the first thing that popped to his mind when he wondered.

"Mummy can't be there because Mummy has my own school to attend. Not this one like you, but Mummy promises that it will be the fun without me too."

He frowned, shaking his head instantly. He whined and stretched his arms out as I carried him in my arms. He clung onto my shoulders, tight as ever like he didn't want me to dump him alone. My heart ached at the moment he called out for me more needily.

"I want Mummy," he demanded. I combed my fingers through his hair and rested my cheek down onto the top of his head. The attachment from him was still there, but he had to be independent enough.

I had him sitting down on my lap as I slowly explained. "Mummy knows, but remember what Daddy told you? We need to be brave people to protect everyone we love. One way of being brave is to learn how to stand on our own. Once you learn how to be independent, it means you're starting to grow up now."