Chapter 70

Clara

I finished trying some dresses and ended up picking the lavender one. Rosie was still figuring out which one to purchase. Josephine was trying on a variety of designs and colours, but she didn't look excited for her own engagement party. It was like the party took her soul away instead.

We waited for Rosie, while Josephine sat down on the ottoman with me. My eyes landed on the diamond ring around her finger. It was glowing against the sunlight, bright in my gaze. I looked back at mine, smiling at the memory of it. I was once at the same state at Josephine, but the person I married ended up being the love of my life.

Was it going to be the same for her?

"Are you sure?" I asked Josephine. She snapped out of her thoughts then tilted her head to look at me, confused with my question. "If you don't want to marry Prince Zykov, I'm sure Hayden has a way to pull you out."

"What did you feel when Hayden said you were his fiancé?" Josephine suddenly wondered.

"After seeing him punch Arnaldo, I was very terrified. I didn't want to be linked with him because of how violent he was."

"But you still end up marrying him?"

"A part of the reason I married him was because I knew I had to protect my family too," I thought back at the old memories. It felt like it was a while ago, but it was still fresh in my mind as I spoke. "I had to make a choice between Arnaldo or Hayden, and I chose Hayden because he was slightly better than my other option. I never expected to have anything more with him, but it turned out to be different."

Josephine nodded. She fell quiet again, and I was attempting to read her expression, figuring out what she wanted to say. I was never great with advice, but I wanted to give her the best support like she did for me.

"I'm just as terrified as you once were, Clara," she revealed to me. She looked so vulnerable when she told me the truth. "Marriage means that I have to be with Zykov for the rest of my life. I will have to consummate with him and have children."

"I know how you feel," I grasped her hand in mine, squeezing it gently. "Before Hayden, I was supposed to be with Arnaldo. I had the same thoughts going through my mind. I was disgusted because all those good things were supposed to be with someone you love."

"Abbas told me to run away with him, but no matter where I went, my grandfather will find us easily. I'm the Princess of Nascadia. I can't be reckless, especially when it comes down to the family reputation."

"I think the hardest part for you is Abbas. You have someone to love, and it makes it harder for you to leave him behind. I was easy to choose between family and my freedom."

I took Josephine in my arms, comforting her as she cried again. I brushed her head, and I hoped that she could find happiness soon. It pained me to see her at this state. It was making her fall deeper into misery, and I hated how the family traditions ruined her happiness.

Rosie came out, and I shook my head, indicating to her to be quiet. She walked over to us, sitting down as she joined the embrace. The three of us stayed close until Josephine was settled. Xander was clueless, but he came to hug his aunt tightly.

"Don't cry, Josephine," Rosie comforted, taking a pack of napkin from her handbag. "We're here to make the best of your engagement and wedding. You might not be married to someone you love, but you can have the best parts of your life. Spend all the money and break his credit card."

Josephine and I let out a helpless laugh. Rosie had the weirdest ways to comfort people, but it brought a smile to Josephine. I mouthed a thank you to Rosie, and she winked back, nodding at me.