Chapter 55

Clara

I sat at the dining table, the steam from my tea blowing into the air. I stared out at the mini fireplace where the flames burned the wood with crackling sounds.

It felt different to see him after three years. I thought I would be angry or upset, maybe slightly broken, but it turned out to feel like we were standing further yet closer together. Further because I was still uncomfortable. Closer because we both grew from our experience.

When we were face-to-face, I could feel his strong aura wrapped around me, warm and safe like it was from the past. The image of him blurred in my vision. He stood in his white dress shirt, his rolled sleeves casually lingering on his elbows. His hair was longer this time, the strands slightly over at the front, the sides trimmed.

I fought the urge to run into his arms, but once he touched me, my entire body instantly reacted, warming to his touch. I thought about how he came here because he thought that Xander and me were in danger. Because of one phone call, he drove four hours to check on us. I should be touched by his actions, but I was also scared about pushing closer.

"Clara," Zelia snapped my thoughts. She joined me at the table, pulling a chair to sit beside me. She softened her expression with a hand over mine. "Xander is in the bedroom waiting for you. I helped him shower."

"Thank you," I nodded.

I fell silent, and the guilt was overcoming my thoughts. Out of everyone, Hayden was the one who found our son. It was fate that was pulling the strings together for me. It was to stop Xander from separating from him. No matter how much I chose to ignore the past, I could never escape from fate.

They were bounded by blood.

"Do you think I should tell Xander about Hayden?" I mumbled to Zelia.

"I understand your reasons to hide it," Zelia whispered. "But since Hayden and Xander already met, I think it's time to let Xander know. It's not like it's a secret anymore."

I did a small nod. Zelia patted my hand, and she left me sitting in the room. The silence wrapped around me again, and I settled down until I decided to head upstairs to see Xander. I knocked on our bedroom door that was wide open, and Xander raised his head, stopping his toy car from rolling away.

"Can Mummy come in?" I questioned with a light smile.

He nodded.

I stepped inside, sitting on my knees on the carpeted floor. Xander dipped his head down, staring at the ground. My heart broke at the sight. He was only a child, and I had to put him through all the sufferings that he didn't deserve.

"I'm sorry, Mummy," Xander whispered, fumbling with his fingers.

"It's okay," I rubbed his head, softening my voice. "Mummy isn't mad at you, Xander."

"Really?"

I answered him with an assuring nod. I brought him close to the side of my body with my hand running through his soft hair. His small body fitted in mine perfectly. It was like when Hayden would hold me in his strong arms, and his coldness turned to warmth.

"Do you want to hear a story?" I offered, pushing a faint smile on my lips. It was time to let it all out for once and faced everything that no longer affected me.

"What story?" He raised his head to look at me.

"It's a story that will surprise you."

"Okay," he sounded anticipated.

A heavy breath escaped my lips, and I bent down to rest my cheek on top of his head. Xander was my entire world. Even if I could lose him after this, he did deserve to know who he was and where he came from.