Chapter 144

Clara

Hayden dropped me off at my house to see my mother. He didn't want to be part of the drama, so I decided for him to watch after Xander. Damien wanted to come with me, and I allowed him, which helped Hayden reduced his annoyance at home.

"Grandma," Damien ran to my mother. She instantly scooped him in her arms, spoiling his cheek with kisses, and he laughed loudly.

I joined her and exchanged an embrace. Damien greeted everyone then came back to me as I sat him down on my thighs. After greeting my father, I drew my eyes over at Silas who was sitting in complete silence.

"What's going on?" I asked curiously, embracing Damien from behind.

"You should ask your brother," My mother darted her eyes over at him. She huffed with frustration, sitting down on the other couch. I called Phoebe to take Damien away first in case he heard or saw anything bad.

Silas sighed, showing me the helpless eyes. I knew that my mother was forcing him to do something again. It was too easy to predict now.

"Clara, I think you should talk to your brother about having children," my father interrupted. "He's getting married soon, and we waited long enough. It took us a while until we could have him match with Vernice. We allowed them to do whatever they wanted already."

"It's okay. People have different preferences, and they don't have to have children right away or have children. They're allowed to have their choices," I assured.

"Your brother is really good lying now," my mother fired. "He told me that they will have children soon, and I was eager for it. I took out all the recipes for fertility soups, but your father and I overheard them taking about getting birth control pills before their honeymoon."

"Mother," I ticked at her behaviour. "How could you eavesdrop on them? They need privacy as a couple. You can't just do this." I was slightly disappointed in how my mother just listened to them without any respect of boundaries.

"Am I wrong again?"

"You are wrong for invading their privacy. They can have kids whenever they want. It's not up to you to determine."

"This is how you speak to me?"

"Enough," Silas silenced the entire room. He stood to his feet, towering over my mother as his eyes glared at her with no mercy. "I always do whatever you ask me. How come I can't even make one decision in my entire life?"

"Excuse me?" My mother reacted, unable to believe that he was talking back to her with a strong tone. "Silas, I'm your mother."

"Which is why I always give into you. Clara and I respect you, but it only leads to spoiling you and giving you chances to push our boundaries."

I grabbed Silas by the arm, shaking my head, hoping he could stop. He didn't listen, pulling his arm back and pushing further with his argument. It was like Hayden possessed him for a moment.

"I went with the wife you chose for me," Silas lowered his voice. "You already kicked Beatrice out. What more do you want?"

"Has that foolish woman drugged you?" My mother yelled.

"Shut up," Silas spat.

I blinked, sitting in shock, exactly like everyone else was. Hayden and Silas were talking more often, and I hoped that my husband didn't teach my brother his methods of dealing with people. It was not part of Silas, but to hear Silas speak up against our mother, I couldn't deny that I was somewhat impressed.

"What?" My mother cried out loud. "How dare you tell me to shut up."

"If you keep pushing my limits, I will move out," Silas gritted his teeth and stomped upstairs, leaving my parents and me alone.