Chapter 61

Clara

Hayden clenched his fingers harder around the gun handle. He was hesitant, but once he glanced at me, he raised his hand, slowly lowering down to place down the gun. He started coughing too, and I saw blood coming out of the corner of his lips.

My heart clenched at the sight. Tears brimmed my eyes. As soon as I noticed that the man was distracted, I elbowed him hard right in the stomach and ran straight to Hayden. I heard gun shots being fired, completely unaware of what was happening. I was just running away.

I was so afraid of losing Hayden. I didn't care if I was shot or killed, but I couldn't let him be weak because of me. I would never want to be the one who was dragging him down.

Hayden caught my wrist, pulling me out of the abandoned warehouse immediately. We ran as the gunshots continue to be fired. We managed to escape out to the front entrance, but I could hear the man screaming behind us as he tried to catch up.

We were in the forest and pushed through the branches. We hid behind one of the secluded areas where brushes and trees covered over us. Hayden looked around, making sure that we were safe before he spoke.

"You okay?" He instantly asked me, brushing the hair away from my face.

I instantly nodded, embracing him close to me as I settled in his arms. I suddenly felt a damp spot on my hand, and it was growing wetter under my touch. I froze, looking at my palm to see fresh blood covering my skin. Hayden slumped right onto me, the gun falling out of his hand. The tears flooded my eyes as I could barely hold him in place.

It was like my entire world stopped. My blood ran cold when Hayden was somewhat unconscious. I told myself to not become a liability, but it was me who caused everything from the start. I was stubborn and willful for all these years. He said nothing about it and allowed me to do whatever I wanted.

"Hayden," I cried and pulled apart, holding his face to try to keep him awake. "Don't close your eyes. You have to look at me."

He let out a groan as an answer. He attempted to keep his eyes open and managed to grasped my hand. "You okay?"

"I'm okay," my voice broke. "I'm okay."

Even if he was hurt, he still thought of me first. I could never forgive myself if anything happened to him. We had so much more to do together. He needed to give me a chance to a better lover for him. We were parents, and I owned him a proper family.

"I'm sorry for not giving you enough," Hayden mumbled. "I'm not the husband that you always wanted."

I shook my head instantly. "That's not true. You've always been the husband I've wanted. I know I've said words that hurt you, but if I had a choice, I would still marry you, Hayden. Dead or alive, I still want to be with you for the rest of my life."

A faint smile grew on his lips, and his hand was slowly sliding from mine. His body temperature was becoming colder. I didn't want him to die in my arms. I could never watch him leave me.

"Hayden," I sobbed. "Please stay with me."

"I'm tired, Clara," he breathed, shutting his eyes closed. "So tired with everything."

I embraced him close to me and raised my voice. "You promised me to be a better husband to me. I'm not letting you leave me without keeping your words. Please, Hayden."

The sirens sound were coming closer to us. Flashes of red and blue light were outside the glass windows. I could feel Hayden drifting farther from me, and no matter what I said, it was like he could no longer hear me anymore.